The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruff tough kennels and heat

Default Ruff tough kennels and heat

Currently looking into buying a ruff tough kennel. Just wondering how they are in the summer months as far as heat and air circulation go. I am considering a 2 door hoping it will increase the air flow. For those of you that have one, how are they in the heat?

Obviously they do not stay nearly as cool as an insulated steel box with fan. But they are not heat generators either. Prudent use of a fan and awning or some type of shade should keep them fine.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Thanks for the quick reply Carol. I have a fan and a silver shade sheet.

It has not been very hot so far in MI but in a 5.5 ft pickup bed on a raised platform with a awning my dogs have not had any elevation in respirations which I use as a sign that they are warming up. Highest temp so far has been mid 80's 2 kennels are one door and the 3rd is two doors and the pup Star 9-10 weeks old has been using it. Hang on and I will put a thermostat in with them Weds which is forecast to be 88.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Outside air temp 84 degrees in the shade of an old oak tree with yellow ribbon. Temp on the door of 2 door kennel 89.8 degrees. Truck sitting in full sun.

BTW my dogs love that tailgate step on the Ford trucks.

Hope that helps in your decision. The canopy is a work in progress.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

I have the 2 door model. A fan will move a ton of air through it.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

i have a ruff tuff 1 door kennel and i have seen that some people take those hole saws you put on drills and add a few extra holes for ventilation. i'm a little hesitant but may be looking to do that myself. i have mine in a 4 runner and i bought an endless breeze fan. the little kennel hangers on the fan dont work with the kennel but i ran a bungee cord through the handles on the kennel to the handle on the fan. it works good.

i'll be looking for an awning next. anyone got any ideas for awnings and suvs? i'd like to find something that went from the back side windows to the back and still allow me to leave the back hatch open. i thought a regular pop up one might work but i dont know if they are high enough to go over the car or wide enough. plus the side curtain might not be big enough to cover the side windows

Somehow the pics didn't make it.

Kennel platform.jpg

kennels in.jpg

kennels in the sun.jpg
    John C aka jacduck

That is exactly the setup I was looking to do John. I had not thought about raising though. Looks good

I have 2 ruff tuff 2 door kennels, also in a 4 runner. The endless breeze fan fits on my crate doors fine, but maybe its because they are the older metal mesh doors. We had a power jack wired into the back panel of the 4 runner to power the fans. The nice thing about the crate material is that it doesn't seem to transfer heat. I also have a large silver shade to drape over the top and back of the vehicle and make shade: we use clips to fasten it. I wouldn't want to park out in the full sun all day over 85 deg or so, but it works pretty well most of the time. The vehicle gets dirty inside though, because I have everything open wide all day. Love the crates!
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ