The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: EPA and Fracking

Default EPA and Fracking

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-kay-melchior
    The EPA is yet another agency being used for political purposes.

Also, the EPA had failed to find contamination in the existing water sources in Pavillion, so it drilled its own wells — but went far deeper into the earth, intonatural hydrocarbon-bearing foundations. As Encana, the developer, wrote at the time, “Natural gas developers didn’t put the natural gas at the bottom of the EPA’s deep monitoring wells, nature did.” So when the test results showed hydrocarbons, that said nothing about fracking and much about the EPA’s scientific sloppiness.

Furthermore, the methods and materials used to drill the EPA’s sample wells may well have introduced chemical contaminates.

And different labs reached contradictory conclusions about the small samples the EPA collected. One lab even reported that the “blank” sample used solely for comparison purposes was tainted.
    And the few journalistic accounts that acknowledged the study’s problems were dismayed about the implications of its very public debut. Wyoming’s Casper Tribune wrote in an editorial: “You think Pavillion water is a mess? Try setting the record straight if the EPA’s report is eventually changed or discredited after scientific review. . . . The EPA may have poisoned the public debate by releasing its [preliminary] report.”

That assessment is proving prophetic. EPA reps said this week that although the agency “stands behind its work and data,” the study won’t be finalized, and the Obama administration won’t rest on the report’s conclusions. That’s a nice talking point, but if the Pavillion study could actually stand up to scrutiny, you can bet the EPA would be using it to act — and to act boldly.

But in the end, it didn’t matter much whether fracking had actually contaminated Wyoming’s water; having the public think it did sufficed for the EPA. So go the cynical politics of an agency with an agenda.
    The waste and fraud in so many Fed agencies certainly makes a case for starting over from scratch.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I talked to a ground water geologist the other day about fracking. He said fracking doesn't pollute groundwater, but bad storage practices of the fracking waste causes the contamination. The EPA somehow has become another law enforcement arm of the white house.

While I think we should use our resources in the ground, I also think we should protect the ones on the surface. I think, like all government divisions, the EPA was created with good intentions but grew to take away freedoms and is out of control.

I agree, mudminnow. We have to be careful, but not stupid.

We have to face reality in using our resources as well. We need to keep the engine running, so we can "risk" using our own resources (and being more careful about that than many other countries like India and China, who still are happy to burn coal with little regard to pollution), or we can keep paying the guys in the ME. No brainer for me.

There is no way to totally erase the human footprint from the planet. And I can see no good purpose for countries who create wealth to enslave themselves to carbon taxation to reduce their economies to third-world levels. A healthy, vibrant economy will be the source of the innovation that can provide for the future in a responsible way.

I think the new use of CNG has been remarkable. Just a few years ago, I never believed that we'd be able to replace the internal combustion engine so quickly. Now, the whole picture has changed, and CNG could do very well do that; and already has made great strides for trucks. Both the cost of the vehicles and the fuel has come down. The producers get a good profit, and the consumer gets a good deal, too. Viva capitalism!

In the past a healthy US economy has had a positive effect on the world economy. Not only that, the US, generally, is very generous with its bounty, and has always been quick to aid poorer countries when they are in dire need.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Have you heard anything about former representative Bob Inglis' plan for energy independence? It hasn't received much attention, but he suggests a carbon tax, but with an equa tax cut from the income tax. While I still think taxes are armed robbery, this is one that I could see helping us financially and increasing our national security. He was my congressman until he was voted out for voting for the bailouts. He is a conservative though and didn't get caught up in the Washington game.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    Have you heard anything about former representative Bob Inglis' plan for energy independence? It hasn't received much attention, but he suggests a carbon tax, but with an equa tax cut from the income tax. While I still think taxes are armed robbery, this is one that I could see helping us financially and increasing our national security. He was my congressman until he was voted out for voting for the bailouts. He is a conservative though and didn't get caught up in the Washington game.
    Does a carbon tax matter if we have 100+ (maybe close to 200) years of fossil fuels without buying from the ME?

In that period of time, we should be able to develop renewable alternatives ... or something we haven't even dreamed up yet ... as happened with CNG. A few years ago the technology and supply were not "ready" for it to be viable, but both the supply and mechanicals have become more affordable so that those companies switching truck fleets over to CNG will end up with a net saving on their fleets.

I don't think encouraging more windmills with a carbon tax is going to be the answer. We might get better at utilizing and storing solar energy.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

No need to worry ... Obama will issue some executive orders tomorrow to fix everything
    The Washington Post expanded a little on Obama’s economy-killing plan:
    President Obama will announce Tuesday in a speech at Georgetown University that he plans to regulate greenhouse-gas emissions from existing power plants, according to individuals who have been briefed on the plan but asked not to be identified.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com