The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A simple idea forimmigration reform

Default A simple idea forimmigration reform

Great Van Susteran has a very simple idea ...
    http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/...is-1200-pages/

1) SEAL the border. It IS affordable if we cut out waste in a lot of other places. (How much border security could be purchased for the price of a $60 million African vacation; or $50 million of IRS conference expenditures?)

2) Give all present illegals a "special" green card, but on which will NOT lead to citizenship. They can get citizenship if they get in line for legal immigration (i.e. they must go home first, then get in line). So, they can stay here and work, pay taxes, but no hope of citizenship unless they go home first. This is not amnesty since none of these illegals will get citizenship unless they do it by the legal system already in place. Present over-stayed visas are included here.

3) Over-stayed visas:
    if after the point of enactment of this law someone comes to the USA on a legal visa and overstays, if that person gets caught (he or she won’t have a green card), there will be deportation back to the home country and no USA visas will be granted that person for a period of time (5 years?) There are already in existence laws to punish employers who hire people illegally in this country – enforce those laws and perhaps increase the penalty.
    No need for a lot of "special" stuff, except for the cost of truly sealing the border and issuing the "special" green cards (just change the color?)

This is SO simple, and so much less costly than anything Congress has come up with ... the one sticking point with Congress, of course, is that these 11 million will never be able to vote (unless they go home and enter legally). Greta's answer to that:
    The green card solution simple and fair – it does not allow someone who has violated our law to ‘jump the line’ or unjustly annoy those who HAVE followed the legal path to citizenship. The person illegally in our country under my proposal is already getting rewarded with a green card and security from deportation – that should be enough. Their children born here will be citizens. The foregoing should be enough for those here illegally and who are good neighbors to each of us and it is generous.
    If Romney only got 30% of the Hispanic vote, is that 30% the legal immigrant citizens & their children? Are the 70% that Obama got the result of "anchor babies" now voting & those who have friends & family here now as illegals? If so, who should we be listening to? We always talk about protecting "the minority" ... in this case the minority is quite possibly being ignored and hammered for being law-abiding. How does that promote the rule of law?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Enforce immigration laws that exist now, strengthen if necessary, send all that have come into the country back to where they came from. Then we can call it a RESTART and won't have to pass a new immigration bill. If our standards for training our dogs was like our standards on immigration, we wouldn't be able to house train one!
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Sounds like she's ready to make a move to MSNBC.

Seal the border- 1,954 miles= 10.2 million feet.

Anyone put up a chain-link fence lately? I figure roughly $200 million for basic 9 gauge, 10 foot high fence, which really isn't much of a deterrant. Add to that about 35 million feet of razor wire To go atop of the chain link. Don't know what that costs, but I bet it isn't cheap.
    Then add towers every 1000 feet and man them 24/7. Then, buy and maintain a huge fleet of all terrain vehicles to swap out shifts and perform motorized patrols. Add to that state of the art electronic surveillance systems that also must be maintained and operated/controlled by more personnel. By the way, the personnel? HSA employees, military, or both. Either way, we would have to pay them and provide benefits to them and their families.

We're talking MANY BILLIONS of dollars!

AND IT WOULDN'T WORK ANYWAY!

Greta had her allotment of fame during the 1st Gulf War. She should have quit while she was ahead....
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    AND IT WOULDN'T WORK ANYWAY!

Greta had her allotment of fame during the 1st Gulf War. She should have quit while she was ahead....

I read that net immigration from Mexico is ZERO right now. Seems perfectly legit that we should be spending so much of our attention on it.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by txrancher View Post
    Enforce immigration laws that exist now, strengthen if necessary, send all that have come into the country back to where they came from. Then we can call it a RESTART and won't have to pass a new immigration bill. If our standards for training our dogs was like our standards on immigration, we wouldn't be able to house train one!
    Could not agree more! As a legal immigrant I will never suport anyone who votes for any sort of amnisty. Every illegal caught should have 48 hours to prove they are legal or be thrown out period end of story no excuses. If they have an anchor baby well take your kid with you, your choice.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

I think that Greta is being pragmatic. The Ds will never deport all these people. Even if they did, without border security, they would just come back. So, if they let them stay, but no citizenship available the D's will scream bloody murder. Yet, she gives a reason why legal residency shouldn't be a free ticket to citizenship.

Buzz, I have read that since all this talk began of "reform" the illegal flow has increased ... in anticipation of amnesty. Just read yesterday about Border Patrol finding more bodies and other signs of increased illegals flowing in.

Paul, I don't think that necessarily every single mile of the border needs a fence. There are likely some portions of the total mileage that have natural barriers to border crossing. That may be why the 1986 law and this one refer to 700 miles of fence? Just so we are clear, the 1986 law required 700 miles of fence ... and only 36 miles was actually built.

It seems that nobody cares what the law is ... not Congress, not the Presidents ... they either just ignore it or executive order the law to impotence.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

It just occurs to me that the simplest way to address the problem is to just apply the same immigration laws to potential immigrants that their own country would apply to immigrants to their home country.

It's kind of a joke that Mexico is suing the Us for not taking more Mexican immigrants, while Mexico's own immigration laws are MUCH more restrictive. The Central American immigrants that pass through Mexico never intend to stay in Mexico. It's just on their way to the US.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    There are many pundits from both sides that should retire.

This month's Amercian Spectator had an interview with Senator Sessions - his position is that bringing in all these low wage people, however qualified, hurts american wages & specifically at the lower wages. Having lived it at Boeing when they brought many engineers from other countries in at lower wages (deservedly so) which tamped down our wage bargaining power, I know that to be true.

We got a lot of people selling out, hopefully the house will say no go.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!