The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ACL injury

Default ACL injury

I know this has been discussed on here in great length, and I've read through a bunch of archives about ACL injuries.

I came home Monday evening and when I let my 3yr old out, she was limping. I was immediatley worried because of the way she was holding it/wouldn't put any weight on it at all. Called vet and first available appt. was Thursday. Went to the vet and they confirmed she had an ACL tear. They refered me to a referal clinic to get the surgery done. I'm scheduled to have it done next Tuesday, but am trying to do all the research I can in the process to make sure I am making the best decision for her. I have insurance on her for just such a reason and have already contacted them. Sounds like everything should go smooth on that end. I live in southern MD about 45 miles south of Wash DC. I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with injuries like this and knew of any top knotch centers in the area? She is a great retiever that is just hitting her prime. We were supposed to be leaving for North Dakota in less than 4 weeks (not happening now of course). I want to do everything possible to make sure the repair brings her back healthy where she can still be as active and hunt as hard as she did before. Thanks for any help.

Darryl

OK I've mentioned this before. Since you're in MD the absolute best guy is Dr Sherman Canapp of VOSM in Annapolis Junction MD. His wife Dr Debra runs the rehab side of the house.
    Since you have insurance this is what "I" would do no question.
    Cancel with who ever you had surgery scheduled with, go see Dr Cnapp, have him do a TPLO, leave your dog with the rehab side of the house and Dr Debra on day of surgery and leave dog there for about 12 weeks of rehab. You'll thank me later.

http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/

Here's his page related to CCL injury, repair & rehab
    http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/sur...s_cranail.html
    Last edited by Breck; 09-14-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Although written about agility dogs these two articles by Dr Cnapp about CCL injury and at home rehab are a good read if you're thinking about tackling the rehab yourself.
    Mo betta to let them do it if your insurance covers it.

http://www.akcchf.org/assets/files/c...CCL-Part-I.pdf

http://www.akcchf.org/assets/files/c...CL-Part-II.pdf

Grazie

Ditto! Dr Sherman is awesome! Did two for me!
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Breck,

Thanks for the quick reply. I called VOSM and have an appt set up for Monday. I'm glad I looked into this more. It sounds like VOSM is a top notch facility. In your experience did the insurance cover any rehab work? It really stinks that this happened right before hunting season. How long after surgury have you seen a dog back in the field? I know these are all questions the surgeon will answer on Monday, but am anxious to know if I will be able to get her back in the field before the end of January. Thanks,

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by dc73nova View Post
    Breck,

Thanks for the quick reply. I called VOSM and have an appt set up for Monday. I'm glad I looked into this more. It sounds like VOSM is a top notch facility. In your experience did the insurance cover any rehab work? It really stinks that this happened right before hunting season. How long after surgury have you seen a dog back in the field? I know these are all questions the surgeon will answer on Monday, but am anxious to know if I will be able to get her back in the field before the end of January. Thanks,

Darryl
    No policy will cover it if done while "training" or during a trial situation. They consider it that you have put your dog at risk. Don't know which inurance carrier you have. Depending on yoru policy, it should cover the rehab work or at least part of it. Should be back in the field at 12-14 weeks. But, every dog is different. There are many dogs are running field trials on one or two TPLOs. It's not the end of the world. Stuff happens.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

OK good.
    Here's the deal. Like Susan said all Insurance is different.
    I never had insurance but did the full blown leave your dog in rehab 24/7 until they were released to unrestricted work 3 different times. Basically $100/day for 12 weeks.
    Work it out with Dr. Canapp so your insurance covers what rehab you can.
    If your insurance doesn't cover in house rehab and $100/day is a stretch for you, I would leave my dog with them for at least the first week or 3 so they can do the laser and other early stuff you won't be able to do at home then take over once dog can walk unsupported by a sling.

Grazie

As far as ready to hunt in January I would say no. Even if it turns out to be close don't push it.
    If you had surgery this month and left dog for them to rehab for 14 weeks (12 weeks is wishful thinking everything goes 100%) will bring you into January but dog would need to be eased back into training and field work for a while before hunting. After all it's been hanging out at a vets office for 3 months.

Grazie

I would really recommend writing off this years hunting/trialing season all together. Rehab is alnost the most important part of this and slow and steady will win this race.

How long after surgury have you seen a dog back in the field?
    I expect this will depend on the individual dogs. I have had only one dog who has had two TPLO's. Both times I did the rehab myself. Both times the doc said to put her back to work at 8 weeks post op. With the 2nd rehab I brought her into a rehab vet 2 weeks post op for some exercises, guidance and the underwater treadmill. I did it twice a week for 2 weeks and then once a week until the she was released to go back to work at 8 weeks. She hated the underwater treadmill but I wanted the vet techs and the rehab vet to see her once a week at least just to make sure everything was going normally. Everything did go fine, both times.

When released to work, the first couple of weeks I took it easy. She had some scar tissue that had to be broken up and that was painful. She was on rimadyl a day or two both times but she wasn't in pain very often that I could tell. A day off here and there was about all she needed. I think I was training her 4 days a week the 9th week post op after both operations.

If everything goes well I think you could think about duck hunting 10 to 12 weeks post op and limited pheasant hunting then too. I wouldn't expect all day 5 days a week hunting but if she was in good shape before and you do a good job of rehab, it's totally possible to hunt her.
    Last edited by Howard N; 09-14-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013