RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Gdg... Going in circles ...gdg

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  MooseGooser 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Project!

Making a round Western Red Cedar table top.

Pic 1 :

A jig made for the Bandsaw that allows you to cut perfect circles to a diameter of 48"
Has a dovetailed sliding scale that incorporates a precision pin to locate in a hole on underside of Table blank, to "spin" the piece into the blade.
Design will allow you to "spiral in" to a hard stop(small C Clamp) before you start the actual radial cut.

Pic 2 :
Close up of Jig and Pin set at 14 3/16 radius.

Pic 3:
What the cutting looks like as you spin the piece.
You have to focus on a point in space, otherwise, you will get dizzy and fall down while cutting the top.!!
If you is alreadyDizzy, like me,something you MUST keep in mind..

Pic 4:
Table top cut showing the fall off pieces.

Pic 5:

The most fun of the project. A 100 year old Baily #7 jointer plane. I used this to Flatten the back side of table top to get a registration datum to plane the top flat..
No motor noise here!! Just a very quiet Hiss of a deadsharp blade iron removing 2 1/2 inch wide shavings at a time.
The smell is wonderful,, and before you know it,you are ankle deep in shavings.

Anyways,, just thought some of you "Others" that like to fiddle in the garage would enjoy..

Gooser

#3 ·
Ok, cool. How wide a blade can you use in the band saw?
hope you go to a Card Scraper and not sandpaper to finish that top.
Assume you have scrapers but if not Clifton makes a 3 piece set and get a burnishing tool to keep an edge on em'

#4 ·
Not taking on the project but if I ever have a question, now I know who to contact. from some pics of your work you are quite the skilled craftsman. I would even call you, "The Man."

#11 ·
My boss asked me why I act so stupid!

I axed him , how come he acts so smart?

I just guess its how you is wound?

My boss is truly an idiot!

he thinks I is acting

dumbarse!

#13 ·
Sort of knew you probably had a good tool selection.
all of my stuff has been collecting dust since i got dogs

#17 · (Edited)
Continued!

Table top Is kinda plain!
Need to give it a personal touch.

Inlay!!

I needed a pattern. Drew this one several times. first looked like a lizard, then a Hamster, finally got what I wanted.
scroll sawed out the pattern in a piece od tempered hardboard. then double face taped pattern to tabletop.

Wood Plywood Table Wood stain Hardwood

Then routed out the form with an inlay bushing used in a plunge router.Ingenious device that uses a guide bushing that you can remove to adjust the cut line from one side of pattern to the other. You either cut the recess,,, bearing ON, or the inlay,,, bearing off.
Pic of inlay bushing. Rim Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Bicycle part
Auto part Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system Spoke

Picture of recess routed out in table top. Wood Hardwood Wood flooring Floor Plywood

#18 · (Edited)
Then we need the inlay piece!!!

Picture of material glued up to incorporate a special piece of purple heart for the collar on the hamst,,, er I mean dog.. Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood Pattern

Then we double face tape that pattern to the inlay material, and remove that bearing on the inlay device we talked about earlier.

Canidae Wood Sporting Group Plywood Fawn

Routin inlay with plunge router
Tool Machine Angle grinder Robot Drill

Routed inlay

Cookie cutter Tail Kitchen utensil

Inlay pattern glued into recess with material standing proud to work down to be flush with table top surface.

Dog Canidae Wood Dog breed Sporting Group

Inlay scraped and planed down to be flush.. Perfect fit.. Really no skill required. machines and patterns do all the work..
Vertebrate Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore

#21 ·
Top will be glassed and epoxied,followed by several coats of UV blocking Spar Urethane.

Same finishes as many wood strip canoes have.

very durable

#22 · (Edited)
Two very important words to me when it comes to Dogs and social events are "Sit" and "Here"

My past dogs have always had a problem with both these words. Woulsnt "sit" and to get them tocomebackto me, I had to rattle a tater chip bag...

When I go to socil events like lets say a presidential dinner,, I nver know where to "sit" until someone tells me where..

So,, I wanted to incorporate the words into the table top.

Again, another pattern:

Dog Canidae Dog breed Weimaraner Carnivore

A sheet of carbon paper and some masking tape, and we copied the pattern onto the table. Dog Canidae Weimaraner Dog breed Sporting Group

Rotary tool Tool Machine Drink Bottle
Then the use of a Dremel tool, a 1/16 diameter carbide burr, and a steady hand, we carfully removed material inside the letter outlines.
Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore Sporting Group
Wood Font Plywood Hardwood Metal

Now, lettering readyfor colored epoxie inlay..
I use Westsystems boat builders 2 part epoxie, andcolor it just a dab of analine die powders in various colors.. I chose Black for this project.

Mix it up, put it in a srynge, and carefully fill the letters recesses above full..let dry and work down level to flush with table top.

So, final epoxiy filled lettering in Black, and then followed with a clear coat of clear epoxy wil glass added, and you are getting close to a finished table top.

#23 · (Edited)
So, final epoxiy filled lettering in Black, and then followed with a clear coat of clear epoxy with glass fibers added, and you are getting close to a finished table top. Wood Wood stain Plywood Table Hardwood
Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore Sporting Group

The top will recieve a couple more coats of epoxie to give artwork depth, and also to get the Bar top glossy finish..
Then the top will recieve several coats of UV inhibiting Spar urathane for protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.