The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distance and handling in Master tests

simple solution,,,,You can dress the blinds up in white camo.

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Black or dark color roll up sleeves to expose arms. Even when dark skinned such as myself dog can see. Use cap until judges tell you to put it away , if they do. Judged my share of master stakes and put titles on a half dozen or more never called on any of the aforementioned. 200 yards at a Master mark hmm dunno know about that one? Judged an open at the National Amateur 2013 hills grounds. Set up a mark that I thought was about 350 yards, range finder found it to be 700 yards! This was in the middle of May 2013 we scrapped the mark before it was even set up. Distance can fool you even with experience as a judge and a hunter!
    Earl Dillow

Can I use a choke chain in junior?

/pay
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    Not to start something , but most time folk over estimate distance. I use and recommend a range finder to validate distance. My training group will almost always over estimates my set ups. That is until they lazer it.
    Have fun training
    I can and did validate the flyer of OP, my range finder put the gunner station at 197 yards and the flyers were going and additional 20 to 30 yards.

The dogs that did it looked great!
    St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Should I buy Water Dog to help train my dog?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Should I buy Water Dog to help train my dog?
    Yes, yes you should. You need all the help you can get! HAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    I like the no distance limitations in Masters now. Problem is some people are having trouble with their dogs seeing them when they attempt to handle. Noticed this at a recent test where the live gun station was 200 yards from the line and the gunners could not see the handlers in camo, against the camo holding blind and the dark tree line. As a guy I don't mind peeling off my shirt to expose my pasty white skin so my dog can see me handle in a test, but what are the women handlers to do???
    Seriously? You can do that? As far as I know there are rules about what you cannot wear at HT's (i.e., FT white jacketed attire) but are there any rules about what you MUST wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Can I use a choke chain in junior?

/pay
    Hey Paul! It is funny you would reply lol I was just deleting old photos and came across the one from when you were down here on your birthday judging and you had a tiara on at the judges/birthday dinner.
    I am going to have talk Wendy into inviting you back down to judge. I learned a lot from you (and Tellus) while you were here. One of the things I learned from you was that the dog only has to be properly attired (no choke chain) when it comes out of the last blind (comes under judgement).

I think I remember Tellus wearing a tan (or was it grey?) shirt when he handles in hunt tests. what do you wear or does it change with conditions?

Thank you

PS the pup I had when Tellus did the seminar down here is 5 for 6 in Masters so if you talk to Tellus tell him thank you please.
    Last edited by Kelly Greenwood; 06-29-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH

The answer is the women take off their shirt too. Everything should be equal opportunity in dog events I shot the flyer station at said event birds were ~200/220 yards the dogs did fine. I walked it back & forth multiple times I know how far it was Black wouldn,t have worked handlers were on a dark green background and in the shade, although the pink blue and white of the gallery on the hill behind the master stake were very easy to see. The distance really didn't hinder the dogs but handlers do need to be aware of their background, and adapt in such circumstances. Light tan/kacky would've worked.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-29-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

[QUOTESeriously? You can do that? As far as I know there are rules about what you cannot wear at HT's (i.e., FT white jacketed attire) but are there any rules about what you MUST wear][/QUOTE]

I have wore white along with all the other contestants at a hunt test.

[QUOTECan I use a choke chain in junior?][/QUOTE]

They are illegal to have in your truck while on grounds,,, silly.

pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus