The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distance and handling in Master tests

Quote Originally Posted by gun_dog2002 View Post
    can i use a choke chain in junior?

/pay
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh.

--Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    Hey Paul! It is funny you would reply lol I was just deleting old photos and came across the one from when you were down here on your birthday judging and you had a tiara on at the judges/birthday dinner.
    I am going to have talk Wendy into inviting you back down to judge. I learned a lot from you (and Tellus) while you were here. One of the things I learned from you was that the dog only has to be properly attired (no choke chain) when it comes out of the last blind (comes under judgement).

I think I remember Tellus wearing a tan (or was it grey?) shirt when he handles in hunt tests. what do you wear or does it change with conditions?

Thank you

PS the pup I had when Tellus did the seminar down here is 5 for 6 in Masters so if you talk to Tellus tell him thank you please.
    Lol, I still have that pic. Great time down there. I mostly focus on solid colors when handling. Ill see Tellus this week prob, will pass along your thanks.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    [QUOTESeriously? You can do that? As far as I know there are rules about what you cannot wear at HT's (i.e., FT white jacketed attire) but are there any rules about what you MUST wear]
    I have wore white along with all the other contestants at a hunt test.

[QUOTECan I use a choke chain in junior?][/QUOTE]

They are illegal to have in your truck while on grounds,,, silly.

pete[/QUOTE]

Then is it only NAHRA that that gets stuffy about wearing white?

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post

I take that is NO!!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    ....Then is it only NAHRA that that gets stuffy about wearing white?
    nope, more than once seen a field full of snow goose shells and had the camo of the day be white.
    must be that other game
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

"Then is it only NAHRA that that gets stuffy about wearing white?"

Chapter 3 section 15.
    Attire. In keeping with the aim of simulated hunting conditions and situations, handlers, Judges, workers and other test participants shall be attired in dark or customary hunting attire that adequately reflect a waterfowling or upland hunting environment.

Maybe that is why a judge told me in our 1st AKC Jr HT that I could not run wearing the California Camo I regularly wear hunting in CA and TX as shown in my avatar.
    Last edited by jacduck; 06-30-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Then is it only NAHRA that that gets stuffy about wearing white?
    It was a fake snow goose hunt,,,so the judges left a white coat on the last holding blind, but in general or most of the time white is shunned,,,,,, you are correct.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Can I use a choke chain in junior?

/pay
    Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I take that is NO!!!

*sigh*

I am so, so sorry Mary Lynn and anyone else I confused.

All levels may use a choke chain up to and in the final holding blind. Exiting the last holding blind the junior dogs may wear a flat buckle collar and traditional leash. Senior and master dogs must be nekkid.

*why, Paul, why? It only leads to grief!*
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    Yes but how do you get an answer to a serious question on here?

What tips do you have to make the handler more visible on long handling situations in AKC hunt tests??
    judges employing a little brain power on set up day?
    Darrin Greene

No, this isn't a judge bashing thread. I really thought they were good marks and it being the 2nd bird of a triple and a live flyer, I wouldn't expect many dogs to have trouble on that mark. But I know anything can happen on any given mark and I may have to handle, I want to give my dog the best chance to handle cleanly to the mark. For the first time I came across a situation here I was pretty sure my dog would have trouble seeing me if I had to handle. My camo shirt was definitely not going to work!
    I did on a previous senior test roll up my sleeves past my shoulders (I have a farmers tan so my upper arms are pretty white) and I felt that made me visible enough, but I do not think that would have helped enough in this case. Someone did suggest holding your hat in your casting arm and wearing all solid color and to have both a dark and a light solid shirt with long sleeves and maybe a pair each of tan gloves and black gloves. I should also probably get a handlers hat(with the white inside) and maybe a wide brimmed hat in case the judges don't allow a handlers hat.

I also learned it is a very good idea to get to a test way early and help carry stuff out to the stations. When you do this you can get a very good look back at line and what the dog is going to see if you have to handle, also doesn't hurt to be on the judges good side at a test ha ha.

Thank you everyone!
    Last edited by Kelly Greenwood; 07-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA