The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egypt

Default Egypt

Anyone else watching the situation in Egypt? The people (especially young people) are planning a huge demonstration against Morsi and his govt. There is talk they have a huge petition urging Morsi to step down.

Egypt has been one of the most secular of the Arab countries, and they are not real happy with the Muslim Brotherhood's devotion to Islam and intolerance of the Coptic Christians & other religions.

In consideration of this situation in Egypt, we may yet regret having given the Morsi govt all those armaments.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Just found this
    The Cairo International Airport was flooded with departing passengers, an exodus that officials said was unprecedented. All flights departing Friday to Europe, the U.S. and the Gulf were fully booked, they said.

Many of those leaving were families of Egyptian officials and businessmen and those of foreign and Arab League diplomats — as well as many Egyptian Christians, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press.

In Alexandria, on the Mediterranean coast, fighting began when thousands of anti-Morsi demonstrators marched toward the Brotherhood's headquarters, where up to 1,000 supporters of the president were deployed, protecting the building.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2XenyB3z9

A 21-yr-old American was killed today
    An American citizen was killed in Alexandria, Egypt, the scene of violent clashes between supporters and opponents of President Mohammed Morsi, the State Department confirmed to Fox News Friday.

Andrew Pochter, 21, a student at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio, was one of three people killed Friday in clashes between competing camps trying to show their strength before even bigger nationwide protests planned by the opposition Sunday.
    Pochter was in Egypt as an intern with AMIDEAST, an American nonprofit engaged in education, training and development activities in the region, according to a statement released by Kenyon College early Saturday.

A medical official told The Associated Press that he died of gunshot wounds at a hospital. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Egypt is boiling over. Some estimates (per BBC) is that the protests involve 15-20 million throughout the country. I heard on the news that the military has given Morsi's govt 48 hours to regain order, or the military will step in to do so. Protestors burned down the Muslim Brotherhood headquarters.

I can't even begin to imagine 15-20 million people simultaneously involved in protests.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    .................................................. .................................................

I can't even begin to imagine 15-20 million people simultaneously involved in protests.
    That is just too far out for contemplation.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

For years our largest problem in the middle east was a stagnant stalemate over palastine/isarel. Some change in the political landscape will be a good thing. It is messy now, but hopefully will bring new players to the table willing and able to negotiate peace.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    For years our largest problem in the middle east was a stagnant stalemate over palastine/isarel. Some change in the political landscape will be a good thing. It is messy now, but hopefully will bring new players to the table willing and able to negotiate peace.
    Now that's funny...
    Bill Davis

Henlee, even if Westerners keep their noses out of it, I think it could take a half-century for the ME factions to come close to a peaceful resolution to their issues.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Now that's funny...
    Think about it. I have been watching the middle east since high school. There has been more change in the last two years than the 20 that proceded it. What comes of that change we shall see, but it is different in many of the right places. Worse case senario is that it goes back how it was, best case senerio we can make real progress and stablize the region.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Henlee, even if Westerners keep their noses out of it, I think it could take a half-century for the ME factions to come close to a peaceful resolution to their issues.
    50 years would still be a faster progression than what they were doing. The important thing is not to squander this opportunity.

Henlee, you may not be old enough to remember the difference made in Arab-Israel relations by Anwar Sadat. It looked like there could be real progress through him as the leader of Egypt. He was assassinated. Things might have been very different now if that had not happened.

Meanwhile ... the death toll is now 39 protestors in Egypt. Morsi has rejected the military's ultimatum.

As for stabilizing the region. I don't think we can say the events of the past two years have done that. Iraq and Afghanistan are not stable. Libya is less stable. Syria is not stable. Egypt is not stable. You might say that Iran is stable. Saudi Arabia has remained pretty stable.

You could be right about 50 years ... maybe 100 ... IF we stay out of their way and let them work out their own tribal problems. As long as they have periods of temporary unity by focusing on the US as the meddling outsider, it postpones them devoting their attention to resolving their own factionalism.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com