The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RINO's

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    I would say that telling a friend in private that you made a mistake is a far cry from owning up to it. Now back on point, I listed some pretty inarguable facts, Reagen was weak on immigration, weak on crime, he campaigned for gun control, things that would get most Republicans today labeled RINO's. The subject of RINO came up in the immigration thread, and if I asked the question in that thread people would pile on saying I was changing the topic, so I chose to pose an honest question on where the RINO line is drawn, to this point I got one honest response, thanks for the post Swampcollie.
    mngundog....I am glad you enjoyed my post.....one minor comment....the 'example' I gave you regarding President Reagan's admission that he made a mistake on the immigration bill....is not by any means his only admission on this issue. He made a number of such comments publically...actually to many for me to list...you can search this on google and you will see a number of listings talking about his public comments on this issue....

its somewhat amusing and somewhat sad how some would make fun of President Reagan some thirty years after his presidency,people tend to forget that thirty years ago RR is exactly what this country needed coming on the heels of the incompetency of the Carter administration, what other Pres would have stood up to the Soviets, stood up to the air controllers, gotten our hostages back from Iran...NO ONE

maybe by today's "standard" RR may not look conservative enough to the purist, but a Reaganesque type of man is what this country needs right now
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Olliedog View Post
    I see the term RINO meaning " not a true Conservative". There is a stark difference between being a Conservative and being a Republican. The two aren't synonymous.I know of many Conservatives who aren't Republicans but instead staunch libertarians.

Personally I find true conservatives to be as much an enigma as true Liberal Progressives. There are too many pitfalls to attain the purity claimed by both brands. Reagan was a Republican. Seen through today's Conservatives he would without a doubt be a RINO. That is if they where consistent.
    Olliedog...In defining Conservatives and Republicans the National Press has worked for 50 years to 'pigeon hole' and define groups of people who identify themselves by these terms. Most clear thinking Americans understand that groups who define themselves as Conservatives and/or Republicans have a vast continuum of political and social beliefs. The only thing you can say for sure about any of these groups is that you cannot truly define who or what any of the individuals may believe. Many generalization can be stated, but anyone who claims to be able to define what the Republican Party, or Conservative are, has an agenda aiming to damage the public perceptions of people in these groups. You comment on "true conservative" can you define that in such a way that we all can agree on specifically what this person is like? I know if it walks like a duck, fly's like a duck, quack's like a duck, it must be a duck....but in defining political and social values....I do not think you can really define the group, although most of us can define individuals after watching or talking with them for a time. I am just saying, you can talk about individuals, but not groups....it is a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    its somewhat amusing and somewhat sad how some would make fun of President Reagan some thirty years after his presidency,people tend to forget that thirty years ago RR is exactly what this country needed coming on the heels of the incompetency of the Carter administration, what other Pres would have stood up to the Soviets, stood up to the air controllers, gotten our hostages back from Iran...NO ONE

maybe by today's "standard" RR may not look conservative enough to the purist, but a Reaganesque type of man is what this country needs right now
    If your comment is about me Bon, I am not making fun of Reagen and have frequently said on this forum he is the best President of my lifetime. I thought he was a great example of a respected President that went against the party on several key issues. These days anyone who takes one vote outside the party are immediately labeled a RINO, I guess I have issues with any candidate that only voted with the party like so many do now days. Reagen is a great example that being a RINO isn't as bad as some make it sound.
    Last edited by mngundog; 07-01-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post

I agree that President Reagan is exactly what we need today! But I believe he would fit well into today's Conservative definition, RINO's that were in Congress with Reagan, opposed him and his legacy. Below is a copy of what is known as Ronald Regan’s Conservative Principles
    1. AmericanExceptionalism
    2. SecureBorders
    3. StrongMilitary
    4. EnergyIndependence
    5. IndividualRights
    6. IndividualResponsibility
    7. LimitedGovernment
    8. LowTaxes and Fiscal Constraint
    9. SupremeCourt 0 Bound to rule based on a strict interpretation of the U. S.Constitution
    10. ReligiousFreedom
    11. Respectfor Life
    12. Rightto Bear Arms

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    If your comment is about me Bon, I am not making fun of Reagen and have frequently said on this forum he is the best President of my lifetime. I thought he was a great example of a respected President that went against the party on several key issues. These days anyone who takes one vote outside the party are immediately labeled a RINO, I guess I have issues with any candidate that only voted with the party like so many do now days.
    its REAGAN...and yes its in reference to your original post...when I first read it, I didnt think it deserved a response, because frankly I thought it was condescending and a cheap shot at President Reagan just because he is the standard bearer for many Conservatives (me included), he served our nation with dignity, and his presidency wasn't without flaws , controversy or scandal...but 1980 Cold War US vs Russia isnt current day US vs the Muslim world

and FTR you arent the only one who has ever criticized RR or his presidency
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Olliedog...In defining Conservatives and Republicans the National Press has worked for 50 years to 'pigeon hole' and define groups of people who identify themselves by these terms. Most clear thinking Americans understand that groups who define themselves as Conservatives and/or Republicans have a vast continuum of political and social beliefs. The only thing you can say for sure about any of these groups is that you cannot truly define who or what any of the individuals may believe. Many generalization can be stated, but anyone who claims to be able to define what the Republican Party, or Conservative are, has an agenda aiming to damage the public perceptions of people in these groups. You comment on "true conservative" can you define that in such a way that we all can agree on specifically what this person is like? I know if it walks like a duck, fly's like a duck, quack's like a duck, it must be a duck....but in defining political and social values....I do not think you can really define the group, although most of us can define individuals after watching or talking with them for a time. I am just saying, you can talk about individuals, but not groups....it is a slippery slope.
    I would have to question that most of any group of people are clear thinking individuals. People have a tendency toward emotion rather than " clear thought".Combine that with a lack of willingness to inform themselves and you end up with the simple divisions that create the us versus them mentality that is so prevalent today.

As far as defining what a true Conservative or a true Liberal for that matter is, is the problem. You can't be pure and that lack of purity is what would have Reagan labeled as a RINO. There seems to be little wiggle room in today's Conservatives when it comes to being labeled a RINO. I would assume this is true amongst the so called ultra Liberals also. I think that it is a matter of not being able to see the forest for the trees for those that are so quick to end a political career over what is perceived to be an insult to ones purist ideology.

In regards to being pigeon holed by the media, you are right. I don't gather news from the likes of Rush or Rachel so I pay attention to it. What I do see ( and pay attention to ) is groups and individuals who thrive on tearing people down without any amount of clear or rational thought. They are operating on emotion that is fueled by a great amount of misinformation from the media whether it is MSNBC or Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    mngundog.....let me see if I can help with the term RINO... RINO’s(Republican’s In Name Only) are elected Republicans, who consistently vote contrary to existing ConservativePrinciples (Example of these Principles below). If you look at Ronald Reagan’s record in total you, of course, will seethat he did consistently follow these principles, with a few notable exceptions(e.g. Immigration 1986, see below)
    President Reagan authenticated today’s modern concepts of Conservatism. He admittedly made some decisions that helater considered mistakes (see below). But these were the exception during his time in office.
    Ronald Reagan himself, as told to his trusted long-time friend and U.S. Attorney General Edwin Meese, the biggest mistake of his presidency was signing the l986 amnesty for what turned out to be more than half the five million illegal immigrants inthe country. Reagan was uncomfortable with the amnesty but was persuaded by some of the leaders of his own party (still living) that it would only affect a small number of illegal immigrants and would assure that Congress would follow through with more vigorous enforcement of U.S. immigration laws (Which the have not to date).
    Ronald Regan’s Conservative Principles
    1. American Exceptionalism
    2. Secure Borders
    3. Strong Military
    4. Energy Independence
    5. Individual Rights
    6. Individual Responsibility
    7 . Limited Government
    8. LowTaxes and Fiscal Constraint
    9. Supreme Court Bound to laws based on a strict interpretation of the U. S.Constitution
    10. Religious Freedom
    11. Respect for Life
    12. Right to Bear Arms
    Marco Rubio is still considered Conservative by most, although he has done a few things that suggest he may not yet be ready for a larger role in Washington. His recent support of the Senate Immigration Reform Bill and his hiring of S.C.political consultant Terry Sullivan as his deputy chief of staff are both of concern to Conservatives. (Prior toworking for Rubio, Sullivan had spent the last decade electing dozens of big government “Republicans” in South Carolina. (e.g.J. Warren Tompkins), most of which are considered by Conservatives to be RINO’s.) you If are a Conservative, I hope this helps....if you are not, consider it a free lesson in understanding American Patriotism

Reagan wasn't very good and was a failure regarding numbers 2,4,7 & 8.Oil importation was at an all time high during the Reagan years and he did little to nothing in regards to energy independance. Reagan also grew the Federal Government's size more than any President in our history and makes Obama, who has actually decreased the amount of Federal workers look like a bargain in terms of growing the Fed Government. He also didn't think much of Deficit spending stating, "Deficits don't matter". Yes, there were some good things about him too.
    Last edited by Franco; 07-01-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Franco, are you sure there were some good things about him? One wouldn't know by the content of your post! But then again you seem to be a rabid supporter of obama. I almost forgot, "Ron Paul for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Franco...as always your opinion is nothing more than 'your opinion'.....if you would ever check facts on legitimate sources of information, you would find a brave new world out here......History has Judged Reagan and it is all good.....history will judge Obama and it will be below the line, he already stands out as the worst of the worst...Jimmy Carter finally, has someone worse then him.....!