The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Paula Deen Story

Default The Paula Deen Story

http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...aula_deen.html
    This is the first I've seen of "the rest of the story" on Paula Deen. I was wondering how a 20-30-yr old incident came to attention just now.

Evidently, someone was suing her; wanted a $1.25 million settlement. This article doesn't mention what the lawsuit was about.

Rarely if ever mentioned by the national press is the context in which the word was used, or the reason the deposition became public knowledge.

No one is interested in defending the use of that particular word, including this writer.

But for the record, the specific instance in which Ms. Deen admitted to using that specific word was in the privacy of her own home, used to describe a robber who had pointed a gun at her head. The mainstream media also doesn't seem to care that Ms. Deen could easily have lied about that specific incident, yet chose to tell the truth under oath.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2XkkrqQLs
    The attorney for the plaintiff made it quite clear that he was extorting Deen:
    Woolf threatened to conduct the negative publicity campaign currently underway, making clear the consequences if their extortion demand was refused when he wrote (emphasis added):

...[the] economic losses they [Ms. Deen and Mr. Hiers] will experience if we are caused to bring this matter to a public forum. ... Exposure of the racist and sexist culture of her corporate and personal life is going to permanently and irreparably damage the value of her brand.
    "Racist and sexist culture"? Both the plaintiff and defendant are white and female.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I don't care for Paula Dean but I think she is getting hosed on this deal. It's almost like these sponsors are looking for a reason to dump her.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

I'm amazed by th hypocracy on display with her sponsors. The simple fact that we are a society of free thinkers and open minded persons, yet when you don't think the same way as society then you are banned by the people who you helped make money. Amazing, so much more I could say

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    I don't care for Paula Dean but I think she is getting hosed on this deal. It's almost like these sponsors are looking for a reason to dump her.
    I know almost nothing about Paula Deen but it is wrong what they are doing to her.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

What's interesting is that Ms Deen's transgression was private and 30 years ago. Alec Baldwin unleashed a homophobic tirade on Twitter last week and he's given a pass.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    What's interesting is that Ms Deen's transgression was private and 30 years ago. Alec Baldwin unleashed a homophobic tirade on Twitter last week and he's given a pass.
    Baldwin was just venting after being wronged. Dean was a pure bigot showing her true feelings.

Give me a break, regards
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Baldwin was just venting after being wronged. Dean was a pure bigot showing her true feelings.
    the specific instance in which Ms. Deen admitted to using that specific word was in the privacy of her own home, used to describe a robber who had pointed a gun at her head.
    This happened 27 years ago ... Obama changed his mind on gay marriage in less than 4 years
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    This happened 27 years ago ... Obama changed his mind on gay marriage in less than 4 years
    I doubt if Obama has ever changed his mind on anything... Just sayin'.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I doubt if Obama has ever changed his mind on anything... Just sayin'.
    I might agree that Obama hasn't "evolved" in various opinions as much as he has bent to the political winds of the moment.

If we want to make some other comparison ... do any of us believe that we have not changed our opinions on some major issue during a period of 27 years? Or even, in such a period become more sensitive to the harm that is done by stereotyping any particular group as we have gained more personal interaction with a stereotyped group. I'm sure there are many people who have grown up with stereotypes from their early lives that we subsequently learned were unfair to that group. Think how forgiving the public was to people like Byrd. The public has also been forgiving to the racial remarks made by such people as Bill Clinton (more recently than Deen's remark), LBJ, and others.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I might agree that Obama hasn't "evolved" in various opinions as much as he has bent to the political winds of the moment.

If we want to make some other comparison ... do any of us believe that we have not changed our opinions on some major issue during a period of 27 years? Or even, in such a period become more sensitive to the harm that is done by stereotyping any particular group as we have gained more personal interaction with a stereotyped group. I'm sure there are many people who have grown up with stereotypes from their early lives that we subsequently learned were unfair to that group. Think how forgiving the public was to people like Byrd. The public has also been forgiving to the racial remarks made by such people as Bill Clinton (more recently than Deen's remark), LBJ, and others.
    I think Obama just tells the public what he thinks he needs to say at the time... And when he thinks its time to say something different (whether he believes it or not), he does. This is the man who voted present his entire (such as it was) state political career. He knows what he wants and believes... He just doesn't want us to know... till its to late.
    Bill Davis