The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Man's Opinion of the 2013 NARC in Mondovi, WI

What was shocking to me was the lack of spectators in general. The biggest show comes to town and nobody came.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

I am just going to make a response that gives "the other side of the coin"...

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    DOG WORK: A lot of impressive work. Some remarkable. But sadly no one stepped up and took the trial by the balls. Maybe it was the overall difficulty of the trial? Maybe it was the competing dogs? Whatever the case, they had the chance. Any one of them could have ran away with it, and none did. There was no clarity, even through ten. There was no standout. The judges had to find him.
    It's funny, but I was getting texts from people who had identified the possible winning teams early. Team Ivy was mentioned early and often. And by the 9th, I was hearing that no one could touch them. Such a staetment, although I know it wasn't meant that way, it is kind of a kick in the proverbial nuts to the winner. Kevin, you used to attend more field trials, and I hope to see you back out there to develop your "dog eye" again. I know in 2011, the National Open, I had Emmit pegged by the 5th. I'll be judging the open at AA this fall, please come and take birds, or apprentice with Kurt and I. would love to see you again.

CRITICISMS: Only two. First, to the traffic committee, if I get up at 4am to catch the caravan at 5am, please do not make me park a thousand yards farther away from the test than the person who sleeps in and gets there at 9am. Show some deference for the person who gets there earlier. This was a repeated problem.
    I didn't care where I parked, as long as I got to be there in 2011. People who were running dogs should park closer. I went wearing my comfortable shoes, etc. In Mondovi, you had Rain, making parking more challenging in a hilly area. Randy Spangler bought the property where the parking was put, and he cleared it. They fashioned stairs, bridges, etc, so virtually, you could walk anywhere. I thought this was terrific.

Second, and this is a biggie. The placement for the gallery was AWFUL. Hundreds of yards from the line? For real?? More than half the time we couldn't even see the line. Sure, the overall view from the top of a hill was pretty good, but it really took the gallery out of the event. Back in the day, and this can be substantiated by reading the various books recounting, the judges set the tests with the placement of the gallery in mind. There is NO WAY you can convince me they did that this year. We LITERALLY needed binoculars to see the action.
    while I agree it is always great to see the event, wind and sun coupled with the terrain dictate where the even will be set up. Also, if you have a gallery too close, even whispers can be distracting to the handling team. Like in a weekend event, sometimes it is just difficult to get everything visible, but the first priority must always be the contestants.

And the worst? The tenth series. The showcase series. We applaud the finalists as they caravan to the site. There is a celebratory bird throwing by the four gun stations. The finalists are announced over a loudspeaker by name, owners, and handlers. The gallery? We couldn't see a thing! We couldn't see the line, nothing. We were over a hundred yards away and this time not even on a hill where we could see. The tenth were water marks, the dog were swimming and we couldn't see the dogs in the water. We could see the dog hunt up a bird or two but that was it.
    I am sure it was disappointing not to see the 10th.

It is special. VERY special.
    Agree!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    What was shocking to me was the lack of spectators in general. The biggest show comes to town and nobody came.
    I am told there were over 500 people for the National Amateur in Michigan last year, in the upper peninsula to boot! Where were the people in 2013? Did we have even 100 people at the 10th, who were not handling a dog?
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    The non-participating gallery was fairly normal, by the end of the week more than 100 dogs and their handlers were done with most enroute home and field trials are not a great spectator sport.

So Mr. Shih, as one of the judges, would you care to comment on where the gallery was positioned? To all other judges on the forum, are you concerned with the experience of the spectators?

I have attended several trials, and usually the judges try to accommodate the gallery. I realize that grounds/test don't make it easy for people to watch, but I have also noticed some judges really don't care if the gallery can see the test.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Turner View Post
    So Mr. Shih, as one of the judges, would you care to comment on where the gallery was positioned? To all other judges on the forum, are you concerned with the experience of the spectators?

I have attended several trials, and usually the judges try to accommodate the gallery. I realize that grounds/test don't make it easy for people to watch, but I have also noticed some judges really don't care if the gallery can see the test.
    National judges have many responsibilities, location of the gallery is Not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    National judges have many responsibilities, location of the gallery is Not one of them.
    Of course it is Ed. Judges are responsible for positioning the gallery so as not to interfere with the handlers are they not?
    Last edited by Brad Turner; 07-06-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

[QUOTE=JusticeDog;1123640]I am just going to make a response that gives "the other side of the coin"...

while I agree it is always great to see the event, wind and sun coupled with the terrain dictate where the even will be set up. Also, if you have a gallery too close, even whispers can be distracting to the handling team. Like in a weekend event, sometimes it is just difficult to get everything visible, but the first priority must always be the contestants.

i was there and was disapointed in the gallery also, being new to the sport i was excited just to be there, and i figured that the gallery was that way due to the contestants and to help from distractions, but if that was the case why in the 10 th series id say 50 yds 75 at most behind the line was a patio filled with people, sitting and watching, not sure if it some workers relaxing after long week or some hnadlers out already or what, but i actually left the 10th series early due to the lack of viewing. n like said earlier we were clapping for people and dogs we couldnt see. still a great event and im lucky i could have made it, maybe i had just built so much hype up in my head for it. None the less great dog work and great handling. Really gives the guy the itch even more

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    Yellow machine was simply parroting what someone else had written
    i think this post was unnecessary

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I am just going to make a response that gives "the other side of the coin"...
    Hi Susan. I didn't see you there. Looked for you.

Such a staetment, although I know it wasn't meant that way, it is kind of a kick in the proverbial nuts to the winner.
    Correct, it was not intended that way.

I didn't care where I parked, as long as I got to be there......
    I agree and did to explain to members of the traffic committee that my "criticism" was meant constructively and not meant as a complaint. I was not comparing spectators to handlers, but spectators to spectators.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!