The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Man's Opinion of the 2013 NARC in Mondovi, WI

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    Hi Susan. I didn't see you there. Looked for you.

Correct, it was not intended that way.

I agree and did to explain to members of the traffic committee that my "criticism" was meant constructively and not meant as a complaint. I was not comparing spectators to handlers, but spectators to spectators.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify.
    Kevin-

I think I made it clear that I was getting texts, and I referenced 2011 several times. I was home working, paying for my new air conditioning system for my old dogs. But, this is a huge event logistically, and many people loose a lot of sleep working the trial. Just trying to provide a different perspective for folks. And some things regarding parking, etc, that perhaps wasn't known.

I wasn't disagreeing with your comments. It's always more fun to watch up close and personal, and to get the parking spot closest to the door at the mall at Christmas time, it's just not always possible.

Am I going to see you this fall?? Come on out! You used to always be there!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by younggun86 View Post
    i was there and was disapointed in the gallery also, being new to the sport i was excited just to be there, and i figured that the gallery was that way due to the contestants and to help from distractions, but if that was the case why in the 10 th series id say 50 yds 75 at most behind the line was a patio filled with people, sitting and watching, not sure if it some workers relaxing after long week or some hnadlers out already or what
    I'd say they were more like twenty-five yards. My information is that they were workers no longer working and handlers no longer handling. Mitch was keeping them under tight rein. They were not allowed to stand, talk, or even move. But unlike us, they were able to see.

but i actually left the 10th series early due to the lack of viewing. n like said earlier we were clapping for people and dogs we couldnt see.
    I picked up a book and started reading it. I would have left too if I had not attended the whole trial.

I was told by a member of the set-up crew that the "book on running the national" actually states that "special consideration should be given to the gallery in a national, particularly in the 10th series." However because of wind direction the judges had no choice but to put the mat where they did. Does that mean the gallery could not have been put where they could see? I don't know.

still a great event and im lucky i could have made it
    This seems to be where there is universal agreement.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Kevin is right with his quote from the book, although "consideration" and "dictation" are two different things.

My opinions

- I THINK we can all agree that if we were ever fortunate enough to be called back to the tenth, the judges would give ALL things appropriate "consideration," yet ultimately let the TEST that found the best dog be the the deciding factor, IF sacrifices had to be made because of wind/ terrain etc.

Kevin has every right to make polite observations and add constructive criticism. We that worked the trial appreciate it. We are thankful to the spectators who traveled to watch the event. I think anyone who witnessed any of it would have their own ideas as to how things might be done differently.

We all want the same thing. The opportunity to watch the best dogs in the country showcased in an event where the best dog (for that week at least) week wins.
    We would all prefer to sit between the judges.

We all know that everyone can't everything they want, all the time.

As a side note, A personal observation I made in regards to gallery- I thought the best " official, bannered, mowed, roped gallery area" was the 5th series. Beautiful Test. Beautiful weather. Plenty of dogs still playing. 40 yds almost directly above the mat-front and center as you can get............. yet no point during the day did I see more than a handful of people using it. As a whole the "gallery" chose to sit 250 yds away across a valley near their vehicles and watch from a distance (still an okay view) as opposed to making the walk to the closer viewing. I can't say that I blame them. I probably would have sat at the trucks too, had I had the opportunity to sit down. My only point is, that series showed me that the "crowd" practices their own "special consideration" with regards to What is the most convenient? vs What is logical? It's only fair that we allow Marshalls/Judges the ability to practice the same judgement when there's a scenario where everybody can't be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Turner View Post
    Of course it is Ed. Judges are responsible for positioning the gallery so as not to interfere with the handlers are they not?
    Again.....NO.

It is a consideration. It is ultimately the responsibility of the Marshall, who delegates it's placement/preperation working with the Grounds Crew. The judges Judge. The Trial Chair/co Chair make every thing else happen.

(At least at a national. I can't speak for the individual weekend trials)

Quote Originally Posted by LESTER LANGLEY View Post
    Again.....NO.

It is a consideration. It is ultimately the responsibility of the Marshall, who delegates it's placement/preperation working with the Grounds Crew. The judges Judge. The Trial Chair/co Chair make every thing else happen.

(At least at a national. I can't speak for the individual weekend trials)
    Probably Brad is unaware of my time spent at the national level as Chief Marshall and Chairman. When I served in those capacities the judges had little to no input to gallery placement and I doubt any of that has changed. There always exists the conflict of not interfering with the field trial and being gallery friendly, when in a position of authority I always chose not interfering with the field trial.

Yes sir I was unaware of your experience as Cheif Marshall at the national level. I have never been involved in a national. My experience has been at weekend trials and at these events I have always observed the marshall ask the judges, "Where do you want the gallery?" Also, I witnessed judges have the marshall move where the gallery chose to sit. This was due to the possibility of interference. It was my assumption that judges controlled the gallery placement. I guess, "responsibility" was the wrong term.

As a judge, have you been asked where you would like the gallery seated?
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    National judges have many responsibilities, location of the gallery is Not one of them.
    While I dont run trials, I would expect that this is the case. Where the gallery is, would seem to be the judges' last concern....
    edit to say, unless the gallery would be a distraction to the dog/handler teams-
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

National judges have many responsibilities, location of the gallery is Not one of them.

Imagine if the NFL did the same thing. No audience No growth.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post

Imagine if the NFL did the same thing. No audience No growth.
    Thankfully field trials have little in common with the NFL including the lack of felons.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Thankfully field trials have little in common with the NFL including the lack of felons.
    I thought Felanie ran field trials.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon