The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split toenail?

Default Split toenail?

My BLM has a split nail on his front foot from side to side about center of the nail. I got the bleeding stopped rather quickly and he is not showing any signs of pain or limping. I got most of the pieces of the nail that were split and shattered cleaned up and still wasn't showing any signs of pain. There is no swelling and he hasn't been licking at it that much. My question is since its not split all the way up, should I clean it well let it dry and then super glue the nail or should I take him to the vet? I am not asking this question because I don't want to go to the vet, I will do what is needed to help him heal correctly, but to my understanding the vet will not do anything unless the nail is split all the way. Thanks in advance for the replies.
    Rankin' Retrievers

I would take it to the vet and let them cut the nail off at the split or do it yourself. It will stop bleeding eventually on its own, but would be quicker to stop the bleeding if the vet did it.

I say this because I have a bullie that drags her feet. She split one across the nail at the base of it to the point where it was just kinda hanging there. So I finished it off for her. Bit of a mess, but it stopped bleeding eventually. Grew back too..........

There is no bleeding it has stopped. I am also not sure that the nail is even split enough for the vet to cut it.
    Rankin' Retrievers

ok, good. If it bled its at least split to down the quick...Glad it stopped bleeding for you

Any other input on using super glue would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Rankin' Retrievers

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Brewer View Post
    My BLM has a split nail on his front foot from side to side about center of the nail. I got the bleeding stopped rather quickly and he is not showing any signs of pain or limping. I got most of the pieces of the nail that were split and shattered cleaned up and still wasn't showing any signs of pain. There is no swelling and he hasn't been licking at it that much. My question is since its not split all the way up, should I clean it well let it dry and then super glue the nail or should I take him to the vet? I am not asking this question because I don't want to go to the vet, I will do what is needed to help him heal correctly, but to my understanding the vet will not do anything unless the nail is split all the way. Thanks in advance for the replies.
    I have had several experiences with split toenails with my dogs. I had one removed by the vet in the field at a FT, dog seemed in agony. The other several time I did not have the split nails removed but just super glued them. Then one more, very important step because super glue alone won't allow you to continue to work the dog & stay glued very long. And if you continue to work the dog with a nail split to the quick it can trap dirt & cause infection. So the very important other step is to go on the web to www.softpaws.net/ . Once there buy a pack of clear nail covers (you cut to size) that super-glue right over the injured nail. A cover lasts me about 1-2 wks even in heavy work, including water. When the cover comes off, inspect the nail, again trim any split growth and re-cover & glue. You will have to do this 1-3 times until the growth is solid and long enough to trim off all remaining split. If you let the dog run with some split left, even if it's grown out it will split again. But this process is easy and allows your dog to continue to work with no discomfort - and no need to spend your money at the vet. I keep some on my dog truck and have used them at a FT when a dog split a nail and was limping. Trim, glue, and cover and the dog is like new. Oh and don't use too much glue inside the cover before you put it on. It will ooze out and get around the nail root at the toe when you slide it on and be uncomfortable. Just use what is needed inside the cover and immediately wipe off any excess. Works every time for me.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Brewer View Post
    Any other input on using super glue would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Beside your dogs tongue sticking to its nail after licking it? Just kidding.

I dont think it will do much good to be honest. I think it would be like trying to glue your finger nail together if it ever split.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Beside your dogs tongue sticking to its nail after licking it? Just kidding.

I dont think it will do much good to be honest. I think it would be like trying to glue your finger nail together if it ever split.
    Read post #6. I've had consistent success with this process - probably a dozen times or more over the last several years.
    David Didier, GA

Granddaddy,

Thanks for post, I really do appreciate it, I am ordering some now as we speak. Thanks again for the reply.
    Rankin' Retrievers

Good post #6, I'll have to file it in my record for the next time I have to deal with a split.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)