The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Canadian National Amateur Retriever Championship

As Bill mentioned the flier is a major difference. Another is the number of contestants, smaller field of competitors.

With that said the tests and judging are every bit as tough...IMO

Randy
    Last edited by Rnd; 07-05-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    I'm curious ...are the Canadian nationals the same in difficulty as the U.S?

For that matter are their FT's close in comparison on setups,difficulty...etc?
    the only difference is they are not allowed to use a "live flyer"...also from the pictures and accounts I have seen and heard, the grounds they use look almost untouched except for normal agricultural practices, some spectacular natural looking venues, denser cover
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I've never run up there, so I can't speak to level of difficulty. But the one major difference, good or bad is that they don't use live flyers.
    shawn,

also the hurdle for qualification to participate in a canadian national is thought by some to be not as tough.
    john mccallie

I'm curious ...are the Canadian nationals the same in difficulty as the U.S?

For that matter are their FT's close in comparison on setups,difficulty...etc?
    I've run up there a bit. To answer your question, it depends, I went up last year to judge one and run two. It's easier to qualify for a National up there, all you need to do is place once, so I was hoping to place in one of the two. Well I went home humbled, the lack of a flyer sounds easier, but believe me they add elements to the test that can really screw up dogs that are waiting for and expecting a flyer to be shot. Then I ran one of the hardest land blind/water blind combos ever! 15 years ago I think they were overall easier than our trials, their blinds were definitely easier, but now I think they are about the same. There is also the issue of having to complete a whole 30-50 dog Open or Amateur in a day, so don't expect to be back with a big hunt.

Many Canadians come down to the US to train and run their dogs, and many of those are competitive down here, plus those same people go back home and judge up there, so the gap is closing.

John

Good info ,I was aware of the no flyer ,but that's about all I knew about the northern events. My sister in law is from Winnipeg and her parents spent the week here,we where having a discussion about this yesterday and they where unaware of any such thing.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Well, they are going to the 9th series with a water blind. Unfortunately, we lost Anna Calvert and Ron Adlington from Montana... The rest of the group we have been following is still in. 17 dogs.

http://www.nrcc-canada.com/natl-am/n...callbacks.html
    Bill Davis

Good info ,I was aware of the no flyer ,but that's about all I knew about the northern events. My sister in law is from Winnipeg and her parents spent the week here,we where having a discussion about this yesterday and they where unaware of any such thing.
    An interesting difference I have noticed this time is that they have had multiple test dogs throughout this National. Replacing them every couple of series with just eliminated dogs. This is different than the way we do it here, where we will generally have the same male and female test dog for the entire trial...
    Bill Davis

13 back? Correct?
    2 are Goldens.
    Pom-poms waving.
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

FINALISTS!!! Congrats to all!!

Callbacks: Finalists called back to the 10th Series; 2, 7, 9, 18, 22, 27, 30, 31, 37, 40, 43, 44, 46, 49. There are 14 dogs called back to the 10th series. The 3 dogs not called back are; 6, 15, 50. Dog 22 will start the Water Quad tomorrow.
    Bill Davis

Best of luck to Judy Cornell and Osa, finalists two years in a row!