RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Awnings and other extras on toppers, trailers or chassis mounts

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
I am looking at ordering a new topper (6 hole, 8 foot) and was wondering what people thought about their awnings or other add-ons that they were happy or unhappy with. The topper will be used year round and we use road salt up here. It will be all stainless. Anyone have the new led airing lights? Are they worth the money? How about traveling with only one or two dogs in 10 degree weather? We have talked about a way to close of the jail bars, needed? One or two fans, it gets pretty humid around here. Thanks for any recommendations you may have.

#2 ·
the easiest way to close off dog holes is to put big bed comforters or sleeping bags in the spare dog holes. It will block the wind from getting through the slats.

I have found that most dog boxes are plenty warm in 10 degrees if the dogs have hay in their boxes and it's closed tightly.

the box that I have has had a car fan installed in the breezeway, blowing back to the holes that have boxes on top of them (its an 8 hole). It blows a ton of air when it's really hot.

Awnings are good for dog and people. Make sure it has a good water tank...

#4 ·
Tony,
An awning is on the list of what I would like to add to our truck! The biggest decision is which side of the truck.

#5 ·
Thank you for the responses. The only thing I am worried about with the awning is the salt spray in the winter, I have not asked, but I am sure they won't be made of stainless. I am thinking drivers side for the placement. There with always be someone in the drivers seat when parking and trying to get close to a hedge row for shade. The blankets are a good idea to block the holes, thanks!

#6 ·
I have an A.R.E. topper on my truck and I have a Yakima rack with one of their load warrior baskets. My thought is to attach an awning to the basket if that would work. That way I could take the basket, rack and awning off the truck when I wasn't using it for dog related activities...

Any thoughts?

Who would be the best supplier of an awning of about 5-6 feet in length?

My truck is a Ford F150 Supercrew.

Thanks!

Automotive luggage rack Automotive exterior Automotive carrying rack Roof rack Automotive bicycle rack

#7 ·
Tony .... this is the company I was looking into - http://www.fiammausa.com/index.asp They have a legless (self supporting model) F65 that I have seen on chassis mounts which are very nice. Those units did also have a leg feature if you wanted to change the angle of the awning. The length of the shorter unit that was available at the time was going to be difficult to work with our truck box.

Bill .... the F35 Pro might work?

#8 ·
Tony .... this is the company I was looking into - http://www.fiammausa.com/index.asp They have a legless (self supporting model) F65 that I have seen on chassis mounts which are very nice. Those units did also have a leg feature if you wanted to change the angle of the awning. The length of the shorter unit that was available at the time was going to be difficult to work with our truck box.

Bill .... the F35 Pro might work?
I think that may be exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.