The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: your thoughts on dog toys with retrievers

Default your thoughts on dog toys with retrievers

I know alot of trainers that keep their dogs in a out side kennel do not give toys to their pups in the thought that training is their fun time. For the people who keep their dogs inside what are your feelings on this.
    Live your life so the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by coonsmen View Post
    I know alot of trainers that keep their dogs in a out side kennel do not give toys to their pups in the thought that training is their fun time. For the people who keep their dogs inside what are your feelings on this.
    Pups like to chew. I'd rather give them something that I want them to chew than to come up with their own target.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

The lab motto is "seek and destroy". My house is only standing because of nyla bones. I was at a field trial at the Open and saw a very well known trainer give an FC a sock to toss around after he had run that series.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Nylabones, Kongs, thick chew ropes, we keep a big pile of stuff. Our dogs are also kenneled, we rotate toys between the house and kennel. I can teach an 8 week old puppy to "kennel" with a dog food filled Kong in an heart beat! Puppies to 10 year old dogs love the Nylabones. We sometimes have smoked knuckle bones and they'll last for months once everyone gets kind of bored with them. If the pups pick up an "unapproved item", we quickly switch it out with something "approved" for doggers.

No TENNIS BALLS at our house or anything used for retrieveing is a toy.
    Last edited by Rhenee Fadling; 07-02-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

All my dogs have inside toys and bones.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

My Pirate pup thinks the wife’s Cairn Terrier is a squeakytoy. We keep a toy box in the family room that they all use regularly.

Toys R US regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Things to 'chew' are not a toy (imo) , they are things to chew!..So mine get a thing to chew occasionally but not always !..It keeps them amused and help keep their teeth healthy and 'blunt'!...It also helps saliva stimulation and sure keeps the stools right!?

Toys are the same with a 'Kid' - they should be interactive' and only used together (dog and handler) otherwise they are not a toy! but a chew!..some have a Toy (perceived as such by human) that the dog will not 'chew' - Had a 'Collie' that had such a comforter'! - but that's a different thread all together!..and nothing to do with Toy's!
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

My dog has her own toy bin. Not big put keeps them off the floor, when she will keep them in there. She loves toys and keeps her busy. We have pull ropes, stuffless animals. NO TENNIS BALLS. She drops them on our lab to throw and makes a mess.

No toys!?!? My dogs have toy boxes with balls, ropes, stuffing free fuzzy things, de-stuffed fuzzy things, kongs, socks with tennis balls stuffed in them, the husbands favorite crocs, interactive treat dispencer toys(what a joke), tiny tennis balls and various items that resemble the husbands lost possessions. Somehow my dogs manage to tell the difference between toys and birds/bumpers in the field.

I have a friend whose puppies favorite toy was part of a gutter down spout.

Do not ask me about the demise of my comforter and pillows.......someone in the house has a stuffing fetish.

Happy happy dogs at the Pals Puppy Palace.

My FC has access to the same toy box the rest of the dogs do. A stuffing fetish doesn't begin to describe the death zone of toys sometimes, though! Looks like a pack of wolves killed a bunch of stuffed sheep. Carson had toys since the day he come home at 8 weeks.
    Chuck