The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: your thoughts on dog toys with retrievers

<<<<<<< carried a "baby" with him at all times till the day he died
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

escape.jpg

Give them Toys hundreds of toys
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-03-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Hudson has a box full of his "babies" and other assorted toys- Nylabones, puzzle toys, kongs, everlasting treat balls, stuffed toys... you name it, we probably have at least 1. He does not get rope toys. He does a great job of picking out which one he wants to take with him for the day. We have had less success with teaching him to put them back.

When he's bad, I threaten to box them up and send them to China/Somalia/Africa or some other country where the Labradors don't have toys to play with. So far, he still believes me
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

I never give my dogs "squeaky" toys. I believe it can lead to hard mouth and chomping trying to make whatever they have in their mouth squeak.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)

Personally- I wouldn’t feed a dog that wasn’t bright enoughto figure out the difference between squeaky toys and birds or a trainer thatwasn’t bright enough to teach them the difference.
    YMMV regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Personally- I wouldn’t feed a dog that wasn’t bright enoughto figure out the difference between squeaky toys and birds or a trainer thatwasn’t bright enough to teach them the difference.
    YMMV regards

Bubba
    Ain't that the truth!
    Chuck

My three choose our firewood, (pińon) as the best toys. We have Nyla bones, kongs, etc everywhere but they all prefer logs! Inside, the chessie likes socks (he doesn't chew them up, just hides and hordes them) the youngster unrolls toilet paper and rubs his mouth on it after drinking from the porcelain fountain and the oldest has no use for toys inside. But the chessie is the best at finding toys of all. He never fails, on our morning walks to come home with a basket, soccer, foot or tennis ball. You can see his nose go up when we cross an empty field, and a quick hunt nets his daily prize!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Snakes, monkeys and goldens!! Oh my!! This one piles his toys and lays on them so nobody else can play with them.

I sure hope Gibbs doesn't 'Seat on a duck'! Or take up smoking snakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh yea, we've got a toy box in our house. Our first two dogs were raised with no toys as we were taught it would cause problems. Boy, do I regret that. Now all of our dogs know where the toy box is in our house and that is the first place they go when they come inside (we have an outside kennel building where our dogs live). The two that didn't get toys when they were young act like puppies now playing with toys, it's great. It is a blast watching our 7 year dog old hop around chasing a ball and pawing it knocking it around, love it! We keep nylabone toys of various shapes. The chew toys are great for their teeth. They don't get to kennel with the toys, but they can have them all they want while in the house. I can say for certain that allowing your dogs chew toys does NOT affect their working or make them lay down in the field with a bird and chew it, etc etc; what a bunch of horse sh!t.