The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puppy with Parvo

So sorry, that really sucks.
    My little guy, who is now six months old, stayed at the vet for 9 days.
    He never tested positive for Parvo in 3 tests but my vet thinks it was Parvo.
    He became ill a week after his third series of shots, you just never know and can't be to careful.
    He is now healthy and happy, shows no signs of being sick. I feel extremely lucky!!!

Good Luck to you and RIP Cash
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH
    Buck

Chris

I am so sorry for your loss, that really sucks. I see your looking to the future to get another pup. I had a friend several years ago with a new young pup that he lost to it. He waited months and then brought another pup home only to have it succumb to it as well. The virus can live dormant for years as I understand. While you wait you may want to start a desinfectant routine. A 10% solution of bleach will kill the virus on contact. You can use a yard sprayer to apply to the yard and I would recommend spraying it weekly for the 8 months while you are waiting. You should also use the bleach solution around the inside of the home where you can.

As others have said don't beat yourself up. There is really no telling where your pup picked it up. It can come from our shoes or clothing after a trip to a petsmart or somewhere where an infected dog has been. Just no telling.

Because the virus is now present in your environment you may want to consider an older pup that has finished its immunizations before bringing it home.

Good luck my friend.

The only things that will kill the virus in the environment is UV light (sunlight). Bleach is ineffective in the presence of organic material. One thing that has been recommended is heavy watering of the areas the pup was in. In effect: "the solution to pollution is dilution". The virus dies quicker in the summer due to longer sunlight exposure and rain.

Inside, thoroughly clean, THEN bleach the area the pup was in.

Unfortunately, wild caninids, such as foxes and coyotes will be carriers for the virus.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

I'm so sorry for your loss. You fall in love with them so quickly and it hurts so bad to lose them.

Chris, terribly sorry for your loss. Parvo is horrendous, no doubt and no question about it. Like many others have said, don't beat yourself up over this you did as much as you possibly could from what you have said.

Thanks everybody for the support! The post from Freezeland is what I'm worried about most at this point. I just couldn't imagine this happening again. I'm hoping that if I'm able to get a pup who is a couple weeks past his third round of shots, and able to disinfect the house/kennel as much as possible, that we will be OK. Just makes me nervous. Luckily the yard has very few trees, so it will have the benefit of full Texas sun for the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Chris

I am so sorry for your loss, that really sucks. I see your looking to the future to get another pup. I had a friend several years ago with a new young pup that he lost to it. He waited months and then brought another pup home only to have it succumb to it as well. The virus can live dormant for years as I understand. While you wait you may want to start a desinfectant routine. A 10% solution of bleach will kill the virus on contact. You can use a yard sprayer to apply to the yard and I would recommend spraying it weekly for the 8 months while you are waiting. You should also use the bleach solution around the inside of the home where you can.

As others have said don't beat yourself up. There is really no telling where your pup picked it up. It can come from our shoes or clothing after a trip to a petsmart or somewhere where an infected dog has been. Just no telling.

Because the virus is now present in your environment you may want to consider an older pup that has finished its immunizations before bringing it home.

Good luck my friend.
    I am so sorry for the loss of your puppy. Unfortunately, what's listed above is VERY true. Your yard is now likely infected with virus. It will probably stay that way for some time, maybe even >1 year.

Bleach is only a good disinfectant once organic material has been removed... so, spraying dilute bleach on surfaces like grass does not have an appreciable disinfectant effect.

When I practiced in Kansas, I routinely had clients whose pups had gotten parvo out of their own back yard. Several of these were in rental homes so they didn't have a history as far as what had lived their prior. We had tons, I mean tons, of coyotes that seemed to have no fear of city limits. I think they played a HUGE factor in the amount of parvo we saw in that area.

You will have to be VERY, very diligent when you decide to get your next puppy because of your yard situation. Concrete slabs are great, because you can remove all the organic material and then thoroughly disinfect them. There was nothing that you did wrong with your pup, in fact it sounds like you followed your vet's advice perfectly.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how devastating it is to loose one so young, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of the environmental contamination before you get a new puppy.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Several year back we had a puppy buyer who had lost a puppy to parvovirus. He asked if we would keep the puppy until all the initial shots were given. We discussed this with our vet and figured out that the best time would be about a week after the 4th Parvovirus vaccine. Our vet said she likes to give 4 puppy shots because of the possibility that the first one may not be effective because of the mother's immunity. Anyway, we agreed to hold on to the puppy until a week after the fourth vaccine was given, the buyer of course agreed to reimburse us for the additional vet costs and even gave us some extra money for our trouble. His puppy grew up healthy....unfortunately a few years later due to some unfortunate family distractions, he forgot to get the annual booster and the adult dog died of parvovirus.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

So sorry for the awful loss of your pup, Cash.. Not taking a puppy places to help prevent something like Parvo...in my mind would be like a dog park (to play and socialize), or places like that..

Keeping a pup isolated though is not really good as they imprint and exposure to sounds, rides in car/truck, children..training sessions to hear all that goes on there, including gun shots out in the field while safely in their crate or on leash or an x-pen so they can watch ..even just off line, a gallery location etc...

He visited the vet for his checkups as he should..even there is a place, I guess, he could have been exposed..

So, a very sad story..nothing that points to a place that pup should never have gone..

Godspeed, Cash...sweet pup, and my most sincere condolences to your family..

Judy
    Last edited by Judy Chute; 07-03-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

I don't want to freak you out but I had a ylf who had all her puppy shots on schedule and still got parvo. The good news is that though she was deathly ill for about a week, she came out of it and went on to a successful obedience and hunt test career. We cleaned up the house and spots in the yard where we knew that she had relieved herself.
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"