The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Puppy with Parvo

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhorse View Post
    The only things that will kill the virus in the environment is UV light (sunlight). Bleach is ineffective in the presence of organic material. One thing that has been recommended is heavy watering of the areas the pup was in. In effect: "the solution to pollution is dilution". The virus dies quicker in the summer due to longer sunlight exposure and rain.

Unfortunately, wild caninids, such as foxes and coyotes will be carriers for the virus.
    What would be considered "organic Material" ?
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Trifecta View Post
    I am so sorry for the loss of your puppy. Unfortunately, what's listed above is VERY true. Your yard is now likely infected with virus. It will probably stay that way for some time, maybe even >1 year.

Bleach is only a good disinfectant once organic material has been removed... so, spraying dilute bleach on surfaces like grass does not have an appreciable disinfectant effect..
    What would be considered Organic Material? Just wondering what surfaces would bleach be effective in, in disinfecting potential parvo contamination. ground? dirt?
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Please ask your breeder to consider using Neopar vaccine. It was developed for use initially by the "commercial" breeders (aka puppy mills) and works VERY well to override maternal antibodies and get that vaccine response to work. I've used it for ~10 yrs now after another friend brought parvo home from a vet's office. The vets I use have told me they've not seen another outbreak where the bigger breeders (who used to have issues) use it. I think it is WELL worth it.
    http://neotechvaccines.com/neopar/
    http://neotechvaccines.com/

organic material- dirt, grass, feces, rotting leaves in your yard, etc... So, spraying down your lawn with bleach really doesn't provide a disinfectant effect because of the dirt, grass, debris, etc that is present.

Appropriate contact time with bleach, at an appropriate dilution rate, on the right surfaces, makes for good disinfection.

FWIW, some vaccine companies guarantee their vaccines if you can document that vaccines were given at an appropriate frequency, by a veterinarian, with lot numbers recorded. I believe their guarantee covers puppies >16 weeks, and I forgot what the limit is that they pay for treatment. I consider it uncommon for an appropriately vaccinated dog to develop parvo because of the documented long standing immunity to the vaccine. However, we often make the assumption that every dog responds perfectly and develops fantastic immunity, and that's probably not true.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Cash was a beautiful boy and I am very sorry for your loss. I too lost a wonderful puppy around 3-4 months of age to that miserable virus. This was back in 2004 and it still sucks. Like you I had been very careful and like you, I never figured out where he contracted it. There is absolutely no good time to lose one, but when you lose one young, they are all potential and zero faults and it really hurts that you never got to see them do what they were born to do, that you never shared a sunrise in a swamp or rice field, that you never saw them tremble with excitement as mallards circled...it's just a bitch. Again, I'm very sorry.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Thanks again for everyone's kind words. WindyCanyon - I will definitely ask about the Neopar vaccine next time. Trifecta - My vet mentioned that the vaccine manufacturer may have been able to pay for treatment, but the first vaccine was given by the breeder. The vaccine manufacturer did pay for a necropsy though which helped dispel worries about distemper or some other neurological disorder that the vet had suspected might have come into play along with the Parvo. The only other issue was a lung infection that I am told was likely developed due to Cash's suppressed immune system.

My heart breaks for you and I wish you the very best of luck when you do get another puppy! What a terrible experience for you and the pup to have to go through.