The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diving ducks- best way to train?

Wow, thanks for all the ideas. We had one in Junior. He chased it for maybe 15-20 minutes before the judges asked me to call him in... it was very, very active and would dive, and then pop out another 10-15 yards, he would chase again, lather-rinse-repeat, until he was about 250 yards out. The judges were super kind and let him re-run the mark since he put up a good hunt. He stuck his head under a few times to go after it but he just couldn't quite get there fact enough. And, it was a nightmare trying to call him off of it because he could see it, and really wanted it. I think he probably would have kept going after it until he was exhausted and drowned.

I was just thinking if it happened again at a SH or MH test, we would not expect the same level of forgiveness. Unfortunately, I don't hunt... and I think it really leaves a variety of "scenarios" that my dog never gets to see because of it... so I try to think about these types of things and plan in advance. In general, I know that I don't get enough live flyers for him (probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn myself!), so I specifically try to work on what I think might be difficult concepts that I can set up. I like the idea of shackled ducks... can someone elaborate on how you apply the zip tie? I'm having trouble visualizing it... like around the body so the wings are trapped to the body or behind the back, so they can still flap?
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Quote Originally Posted by waller1 View Post
    Case of shells and a clay range ?
    Or just let em work closer.....
    I was hopin this would be a reply...
    Also a good, experienced dog will work, swim in circles, look and give chase...Atleast mine does, he knows when its his bird.

Zip tie the feet at first and pull all the flight feathers out so they cant fly
    When he/she is retrieving it consistantly no longer zip tie the feet
    But he advised I wld do this on land at first and avoid big water cause a shackled duck can go on for
    A while unlike a cripples duck who is shot !

I use the weight off a jerk rig tied to a bumper or a Doken. If you do use a shackled duck it's a great show but bring lunch as it could be a long show.
    Muck Madness Retrievers
    Mark Berger
    Chittenango, NY

Emerald City Reba, SH
    Emerald City Rosie SH
    Muck Madness Hurricane ... "Cane"
    Muck Madness Bailey's Irish Cream ... Bailey

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com

"How you do anything is how you will do everything".

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie Greenlee View Post
    Accidentally trained for this with a shackled duck on water. It was awesome to watch my girl go after that duck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Shackle the wings of a duck with a loose zip tie, and let the chase begin, they can swim, dive, and flap the wings, but not fly.

^^^ x3^^^^^

we call it a "duck chase" use a small farm pond you can walk all around.
    great for 1-3 dogs at a time. fun, no pressure, just get the bird.
    is also an attitude pick-me-up for gloomy dogs screwed down from lots of drill work.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

What Ken said..............Don

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    ^^^ x3^^^^^

we call it a "duck chase" use a small farm pond you can walk all around.
    great for 1-3 dogs at a time. fun, no pressure, just get the bird.
    is also an attitude pick-me-up for gloomy dogs screwed down from lots of drill work.
    This is a great idea, I am shocked... I never knew ppl actually trained for this. I will be doing this over the wknd on my pond.

You can also just blindfold the duck and Not shackle or pull feathers. You can blindfold the duck using vet wrap and a small piece of tape on the end (don't cover the nostrils!). The blindfolded duck will dive but will not swim very far away and will pop back up, this gives the beginning dogs a very good chance of success, then move onto the loosely shackled ducks (not blindfolded) for the bit more experienced dogs. You can also teach your dog to dive after ducks, by starting with a bumper held in hand at waters surface and having them retrieve it then hold it just a 1/2 inch below the waters surface then an inch then 2 inches then 3 etc..then moving on to a weighted bumper tossed into a shallow pool etc..

I always love dogs that dive after the ducks.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

I have used the Dokken. It works well.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Flyers on water, ride them out and shoot #8 shot.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk