The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two pups what now?

Default Two pups what now?

Hello All,
    My name is Jerry C. I am new here A couple weeks ago I bought a really nice pup, I am following Richard Wolters advice from Water Dog and also wanting to train her for shed hunting. Three day ago I get a lab cross pup dumped on me , While trying to find her a home I have discovered she is really smart and has great drive, I have always heard don't train two pups at the same time but i am falling fast for this new pup . Help what do I do?

You can train two pups at once, but they need to be kept separate and trained separately. Lots of work but it can be done.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    You can train two pups at once, but they need to be kept separate and trained separately. Lots of work but it can be done.

Meredith
    X2

However, you state that 1) you are new here and 2) using Waterdog. Is this your first attempt at training a retriever? If so, training 2 dogs at once might be a little more than you can handle. Twice the time, twice as many issues to deal with, the dogs probably wont progress at the same rate, etc.

Waterdog, I used this as well as Gamedog when I trained my first retriever, that was in 1995 and I didn't have access to all of the modern training materials that are available today. Heck, the internet was brand spanking new and there was no RTF! Basically what I am saying is ditch Waterdog and get some newer/better training materials. I have DVD's from Lardy, Graham, Farmer and Aycock, Hillman, etc. I prefer Lardy's TRT 2nd Ed., or Graham's Smartworks.

Good luck,

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Its been a long time since I read water dog ,,but I also trained my first bonafide" papered" retriever with it. Something I have learned through the years from teaching hundreds and hundreds of new people how to start training their dog. is that they need to start with the basics on how dogs learn and apply simple things that bring great results. This will keep you interested. When you experience your dog learning fast it will drive you to keep going forward.
    I think those old wolter books are great for new people. Everything in it is simple to accomplish with an average dog that learns well. There are a few modifications you should do ,like the whistle sends and few others but even if you start out doing it that way ,,its still easy to change when you have out grown the book and are looking for more depth in your training.

Its a good place to start and it 's cheap and take what you can from it and move on.
    Pete

You can train as many pups as you have time for. Keep them separate thats all.
    Last edited by Pete; 07-04-2013 at 09:43 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Its been a long time since I read water dog ,,but I also trained my first bonafide" papered" retriever with it. Something I have learned through the years from teaching hundreds and hundreds of new people how to start training their dog. is that they need to start with the basics on how dogs learn and apply simple things that bring great results. This will keep you interested. When you experience your dog learning fast it will drive you to keep going forward.
    I think those old wolter books are great for new people. Everything in it is simple to accomplish with an average dog that learns well. There are a few modifications you should do ,like the whistle sends and few others but even if you start out doing it that way ,,its still easy to change when you have out grown the book and are looking for more depth in your training.

Its a good place to start and it 's cheap and take what you can from it and move on.
    Pete

You can train as many pups as you have time for. Keep them separate thats all.
    Agreed, people are pretty hard on waterdog but the fact is these other programs are much more extensive and complicated and are quite frankly unnecessary for the beginner that just wants a hunting dog.

Learn as much as you can right away about strengthening your skills in relationship building, bonding and developing your pup's focus on you. The first few months of a pup's life with you are extremely important in these areas. With two pups at this same stage of development, your one-on-one time for fostering these important qualities is automatically halved. You need to get really good at creating this connection with each pup in order to optimize the time you have to spend with each pup.

Which ever training program you are using, emphasize the relationship and focus building aspects of the program. Supplement from other sources also.

Jim

I've had this book since I was 15 yrs old I'll be 50 in a couple weeks, Had great results back then. This is the second time I was planning to use the book. I have had a few Dogs trained over the years but it seems the trainers are collar happy, and I have never had a Dog as good as ole Buck was so I was just going to try it again

When you all say separate you saying they shouldn't both have run of the house , and that I should keep them apart all the time or just during training sessions?

Separate--one-on-one house time, training time, quiet time. They can have house time together when they are both calm and quiet in the house and not continuously trying to rough-house.

Meredith

tell me why they should be separated other than training time is it for bonding with me ?