The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two pups what now?

tell me why they should be separated other than training time is it for bonding with me ?
    Yes, puppies will bond with each other and not so much with people. After all they speak each others language and come knowing how to play like a dog, while we have to teach them our language and learn how to play like a dog.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie Greenlee View Post
    After all they speak each others language and come knowing how to play like a dog, while we have to teach them our language and learn how to play like a dog.
    Nicely put.

Amy Dahl

I have this situation right now, though the ages are further apart. Every dog is a little different but here are my pros/cons with these two. They are seperate but I give them 2-3 play sessions a day.

Pros: both puppies come inside tired, one is very big and one small and they are learning to play well and control their bites and jumps, competition sometimes works in my favor, I can introduce early "honoring " games with the older one... eventually both.
    Cons: keep away is hugely challenging for us as they LOVE this game with each other, mouthing and nipping is harder to get a handle on, too much time together has a direct bearing on focus and drive in training.... I and my bumpers are not the most fun thing in their life, here command is harder since keep away games are so fun, jumping up on people is always worse after lots of play time. In general it harder for them to accept people manners and they are both more prone to try to treat people like others dogs.

It is manageable and gives areas for extra learning, but it is harder.
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab, retired)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH, RN (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)