The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Golden Retriever Bench Champion

Default First Golden Retriever Bench Champion

I found this photo on Facebook. For those who have stated that today's field Goldens more resemble the original "ideal", this photo is enlightening

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=2873
    This dog looks like he could physically handle today's field testing. Notice the length of leg and rear pasterns. Solid topline, nice neck-to-back transition. Moderate substance. Nice feet. No exaggeration in any feature. I do notice that the depth of chest does not reach down to the elbows, as is stated in our Standard today.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Looks much like my avatar. Nice looking dog and he certainly looks like he can do field work.
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Hi Gerry:

There will be mention of Noranby Campfire in the Sept/Oct 2013 issue of the GRNews in an article done by Bill Feeney which I found in an old GRNews -- from the Archives. Also an article by the owner of Noranby Rowdy. In the September-October 2012 issue, Marcia Schlehr did an excellent article about Mrs. Charlesworth and the Noranby dogs. There is another photo of Campfire at nine years of age. He looks like he could still run a trial---also, his chest looked a little deeper with more maturity.

Thanks for finding this and putting this out there for us to see.

Glenda

To coin a phrase: "That dog will hunt."

Nice looking dog, what happened????

Sometime someone forgot, "Pretty is as pretty does" and began breeding them to be fluffy instead of working retrievers. It is nearly as bad with the Labs. I would have to chuckle when someone would bring their "show dog" to a hunt test to show that they could play the game too. I would be out in a blind and though not in all cases, but most, you would hear the show dog huffing, puffing and wheezing to run a 100 yard mark.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Looks like our current field dogs that we see today. Beautiful dog.

My heart absolutely breaks for what has been done to this breed. Thankful my three golds more closely resemble the dog in the photo than what is more common now.

Randy
    Randy Hand
    Semper Klamath River Amber Ale** (Amber)
    Klamath's Heartbreak Kid (Valentino)

It is pretty remarkable that the almost identical transition took place in both the UK and the US/Canada during the same periods. Campfire appears in many of the pedigrees of our first North American Goldens. He also appears in the pedigree of Speedwell Pluto, who is very much the basis for almost all Goldens in NA.

This photo of Pluto doesn't show his whole body, but I've seen photos of his body, and they closely resemble Campfire.

An Am CH from the mid-50s begins to show some minor change, but still retains the basic shape
    Wessala Pride of Golden Pine http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=1159

As late as the mid-70s you could still see the basic shape in this CH

But also in the mid-70s some subtle changes were takinig place in show dogs, as this dog shows more substance. I also notice the shorter rear pasterns and the more definitive stifle angulation. The forechest is more pronounced. There seems to be more rounding in the skull. The feathering on the front legs is increased. This dog's birthdate was 1973.

Maybe other people notice some other things?

Then, here is a dog whelped in 2004. If you take off some of the coat and pounds, you can still see the basic shape. After going through a phase of quite short legs, the length of leg has re-appeared.

One thing is obvious, Noranby Campfire was born in 1912 (!!). It took 60 years for the changes that took place between him and the dog born in 1973. We are now 40 years beyond this last dog shown. That's 100 years! This kind of "evolution" does not happen quickly.

I don't know any of these dogs personally ... I just followed pedigrees to find dogs of certain decades to see if trends could be followed.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

That is interesting to look at Gerry. Thanks for posting the photos through the years.
    I really like the photo of Pluto.
    Randy
    Randy Hand
    Semper Klamath River Amber Ale** (Amber)
    Klamath's Heartbreak Kid (Valentino)