RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

First Golden Retriever Bench Champion

24K views 105 replies 31 participants last post by  Cooper 
#1 ·
I found this photo on Facebook. For those who have stated that today's field Goldens more resemble the original "ideal", this photo is enlightening

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=2873
This dog looks like he could physically handle today's field testing. Notice the length of leg and rear pasterns. Solid topline, nice neck-to-back transition. Moderate substance. Nice feet. No exaggeration in any feature. I do notice that the depth of chest does not reach down to the elbows, as is stated in our Standard today.

See less See more
#85 ·
Great thread! I just mailed an entry to have my male evaluated at a CCA event here in Canada. It will be very interesting to see my amateur impressions confirmed or refuted.

I have seen no mention of Nona Bauer's book The World of the Golden Retriever- a dog for all seasons. I had a hard to find copy which I loaned to someone...never got it back. I just ordered a used one from Amazon. It has some wonderful old pictures and if I remember, the dog and bitch breed winners of every GRCA Specialty from about 1955 to the early '90's. It is a perfect pictoral of how the bench dogs have evolved. The early dogs look very much like the one pictured at the beginning of this thread. There is an extensive section on field dogs. It is well worth rooting one of thesse books out for your library.

Medie

#95 ·
Hi Bait:

Re Nona's book---I have had mine forever but try Amazon or even at some of the dog shows where they have booths with old dog books. It is a great asset and well worth having.

Bait has a new grandson everyone! As soon as he was delivered, I think Bait put a shotgun in his hands!

Glenda

\

#96 ·
:) Thanks, Glenda! Gonna look for it. And, yes we have a Grandson! Brayden Samuel Anderson. His middle name is his Grandpop's middle name. ;) Posted a photo on FB with me holding him, in a rocking chair @ one day old. And a buddy of mine commented on how he hopes the youngster grows up to be a better shot than his Grandpop. :) Well, he already has a (never been fired) youth model 20ga. Wingmaster waiting for him.....soon as he can pick it up.

#98 ·
Oh!!! And Congratulations on the new grandson Bait!! :)

M

#102 ·
Awesome thread!

#103 ·
Was just going over this thread with the National Specialty of 2013 being completed. And, what a NS it was!!! The quality of the Goldens competing in the field events was exceedingly high and the talent was evident. We will be including lots and lots of photos by Mark Atwater in the GRNews showing you some of the field stars--- just competing there made you a player no matter what.

In this thread we discussed having show judges at the field trial. We had two attend the Amateur and the Qual., and they seemed to have a great day. Interviews, etc. will be in the J-F issue. Their mentors were John Gassner and Andy Whiteley----can you ask for anything better (that is a rhetorical question)? Actually, the guys were excellent and so good, they may be asked to do it again. We would like to make this something that becomes a tradition, and it was brought up that we should try to get show judges from all levels in conformation to spend at least part of a day watching Goldens at Work! Thanks to those of you who saw the show judges and made them feel welcome. Especially big thanks to Ann Burke for all she did in pulling this together to make it such a success.

This has been one of our best years for producing field champions in Goldens since some of the glory days of the past. Let's make this a tradition that keeps rolling on through the years.

I re-read the whole thread, and one thing that was mentioned a couple of times was how much persons who participated in the thread were enjoying these discussions. Is there anyone out there that would like to pull it together into an article for the GRNews? If so, please contact me. If you don't want to take on the whole project, I would be happy to work with you. If no one wants to, I will use some of what was written here with everyone's permission to use their words. I don't have to use your name if you would prefer that, but I didn't see anything written which would lead me to believe that should be the case. Unless you are just shy! I think this is a discussion which would be interesting to the conformation crowd as well as those of us whose venue of choice is field.

Give me a heads up and add some of your remarks about what you really enjoyed with regard to the field aspects of the 2013 National Specialty.

Glenda

#104 ·
It will really be interesting to see what the show judges thought of the field trial. To move toward greater understanding takes time, so it would be great if this became a "tradition" of the National Specialty.

Thanks to John and Andy for doing the mentoring!

And it's also a great year for Goldens in field trials! Remember that last year was a "bumper crop" of QAA dogs ... and some of those are among the new titles :) Last year and also this year, has been a good year for Derby dogs, so that could be hopeful for 2014 having another good crop of QAA dogs, and dogs who begin making a mark in the AA stakes. Kudos to all of those who make Goldens be as good as they can be.

#105 ·
Great news that John and Andy hosted the guests. I too am very interested to hear what they thought. It is funny how perceptions can change. Just 4 years ago, I honestly thought most field bred Goldens were homely creatures and couldn't imagine choosing one of them over a cuddle bear type. As I've gotten involved in the sport, I found out quickly why the field gold is practical, but also very beautiful! Can't wait for the new GR issues!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.