The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: First Golden Retriever Bench Champion

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post

Only REAL HUNTING will show you "crap" about the dog's ability as a hunting dog. FT's and HT's are GAMES that get farther from hunting by the minute, it seems.

I wish the few breeders of Goldens that are striving to produce an honest to god Dual Champion all the best. It's a worthy endeavor.-Paul
    But, Paul, what about the hunt test and field trial dogs who ALSO hunt, and do a doggone good job of it ... I'm sure John Robinson is still lurking here. I'd just ask, "Does Michael Phelps swim too well to swim in your pool?"

So, the "games" are only a way of making a larger number of people aware of the dogs who have the basic traits to perform as a hunting dog.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Thanks for all of the information, Gerry! You are a wonderful resource.

Some of the evaluators' names you mentioned are listed on the Norcal GRC site, so I will seek them out when the time comes next spring. In the meantime, I will read and stick to the wall and listen!

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    But, Paul, what about the hunt test and field trial dogs who ALSO hunt, and do a doggone good job of it ... I'm sure John Robinson is still lurking here. I'd just ask, "Does Michael Phelps swim too well to swim in your pool?"

So, the "games" are only a way of making a larger number of people aware of the dogs who have the basic traits to perform as a hunting dog.
    Gerry,

The dogs that have the HT or FT titles and are hunted extensively are truly superior hunting companions. Each time I judge I see these dogs showing that they are the elite dogs we all would enjoy hunting with.

It's easy to spot those dogs at a test. They make everything look easy and the teamwork is exceptional.

The post you quoted addressed a statement that the measure of a hunting dog was in the titles accrued, which I think is only partially true. A large portion of the dogs with advanced HT or FT titles are not enjoyable to hunt with. Some are never afforded the opportunity to develop into good hunting dogs while others can hold themselves together for 5 or 15 minutes at a time and have wonderful retrieving skills but would be a PITA if they had to just hang out for extended periods between retrieves or if you needed them to work from a remote position or sit quietly in a boat while you set or pick up decoys unless they have had the training and exposure to real hunting situations. Some never would, as they're just wound too tight for that kind of work. My point is that measuring real hunting ability just does not happen at trials and HT's. There's nothing wrong with that; that's not what the games are about.

I really enjoy running my dogs and judging tests and trials, but I also know that I need to train beyond what I need for success in the games to have a truly exceptional hunting companion. I hope that explains my opinion.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Been trying unsuccessfully to breed it out of the lines, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    ... LOL...passed on by pedigree
    Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion
    Good idea Barb, thanks for the tip. Would love that.

And congratulations on your wonderfully broad rear assembly.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Great thread! I just mailed an entry to have my male evaluated at a CCA event here in Canada. It will be very interesting to see my amateur impressions confirmed or refuted.

I have seen no mention of Nona Bauer's book The World of the Golden Retriever- a dog for all seasons. I had a hard to find copy which I loaned to someone...never got it back. I just ordered a used one from Amazon. It has some wonderful old pictures and if I remember, the dog and bitch breed winners of every GRCA Specialty from about 1955 to the early '90's. It is a perfect pictoral of how the bench dogs have evolved. The early dogs look very much like the one pictured at the beginning of this thread. There is an extensive section on field dogs. It is well worth rooting one of thesse books out for your library.

Medie

I will second what Medie says about Nona's book. It has been a staple in my library since it first came out and I have used it for research as well as reading it for pleasure.

Glenda

Where could one get this book, Glenda?
    John Baitinger

If you get a chance, after the CCA please jump back on here and let us know what you thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Robinson View Post
    Great thread! I just mailed an entry to have my male evaluated at a CCA event here in Canada. It will be very interesting to see my amateur impressions confirmed or refuted.

I have seen no mention of Nona Bauer's book The World of the Golden Retriever- a dog for all seasons. I had a hard to find copy which I loaned to someone...never got it back. I just ordered a used one from Amazon. It has some wonderful old pictures and if I remember, the dog and bitch breed winners of every GRCA Specialty from about 1955 to the early '90's. It is a perfect pictoral of how the bench dogs have evolved. The early dogs look very much like the one pictured at the beginning of this thread. There is an extensive section on field dogs. It is well worth rooting one of thesse books out for your library.

Medie

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Will do...it is in November if there is a spot for him.