The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumperboys-Ever seen this happen?

Default Bumperboys-Ever seen this happen?

Just curious as to if anyone else has experienced this break with their bumperboys. Two have now broken apart at virtually the same location and the third would happen if I continued to use it. BB doesn't seem to concerned about them and just recommended I spend over $600 to have them upgraded. After 4 years are the new models gonna have to be upgraded?

Join Central Ky Hunting Retriever Association www.ckhra.com

Never had that happen with any of mine. Is BB replacing them??
    I would be on the phone to them.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I have 2 4-shooters that are 2+ years old and have a friend with the same and we have not seen anything like that.

For my reference what color loads do you normally shoot and what type (from BB or Home Depot impact hammer rounds?)

Not saying you caused them by any means but if you are shooting all red loads I might review what I am doing.

Thanks and good luck with this. Give Tom at BB a call.

Steve
    Quote to wife after dating several years....."The dogs were here when you got here and they will be here when you are long gone"

NW Panhandle of Florida, The Redneck Riviera

I was with Derek when the first one blew apart...if I'm not mistaken it was a green load. Bumper Boy will not replace them...told Derek that he must upgrade at a cost of over $600.

IMHO, this is a design flaw as there are cracks on each one of them and this is not safe and probably should've been recalled to make it right. I just sent him some pics of the first one that did this...I had them on my computer from last summer.

Hello everyone. I have been reading here for some time but this is my first post. I feel the need to comment on this topic.

I used to have one of these plastic models years ago. They were some of the original plastic units maybe 5 years old ago. Since then they have changed from plastic launchers to aluminum. I know Bumper Boy had and maybe still does have a trade in program for less than half price of a new unit. You get new cast aluminum launcher and new electronics. You had to prove you paid for the unit, as there were some old units around.

I got the update a couple of years ago and it?s been great. I felt like the price was well worth it as my units were well worn and I got brand new launchers for less than half price.

Guess I did not realize the piece was "Plastic". Given the pressures and forces put on these launchers, I am surprized to see that they were ever made of plastic. Mine are aluminum, I believe, or some cast metal and no problems.

I really like the launchers I have. Maybe a trade in at 1/2 price is not that bad deal! Kind of sucks though, I am sure you expected them to last for quite some time. Then again you may need to look at how many rounds you are putting through them. Like anything, its going to wear out regardless of material of construction.

Just so you know, I had numerous BB bumpers that came apart due to design flaws, plastic ring on the bottom. I was sent 4 new bumbers at $0, when I lost several more (same issue) BB sent me new design bumpers with metal ring and charged me 1/2 price. Guess that is the price you pay for getting an early design. Improvments of the mouse trap does not always mean you get a new mouse trap for free

As before, best of luck in getting satisfaction.

Steve

????? Won't BB jsut sell you the launchers seperately, seems like they would. OF course electronics may have changed?!
    Quote to wife after dating several years....."The dogs were here when you got here and they will be here when you are long gone"

I spoke with Tom at BB last night. The only option he offered was to do the upgrade which would be virtually 2 new model Derby Doubles, new electronics into my current housing, new charging cord (old one doesn't work either).

Cost is $610 (includes shipping)

FYI: We use only the green and yellow loads you buy at home depot.

here are a few more pics that show how these old models are breaking.

Default Thumbs up

Just wanted to post about the customer service at Bumperboy. I give Tom at Bumperboy thumbs up and really helping address the problem.

Have faith in Bumperboy for your next purchase and if you have any problems give Tom a call and he will do his best to take care of it in a timely, efficient, and fair manner.

thanks

Derek Beard
    President CKHRA

So? What was the final outcome? Inquiring minds and persons with a vested interest want to know!

SS