The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hailcall Arkansans: Little Rock, AR GDG

Default Hailcall Arkansans: Little Rock, AR GDG

My son was just offered a job in Little Rock with the federal government. He has to give an answer by Tuesday. He and his wife have had no opportunity to fly down there and take a look around.

They are devout Christians. Politically conservative. They love the outdoors. He likes to hunt and shoot trap. They both love to go hiking.

He was raised in the suburbs of Chicago, and currently they live in Maryland and work in D.C. They hate it there. They think of themselves as country people at heart.

What do you think? Will they fit in and like it there?

Thanks in advance.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    My son was just offered a job in Little Rock with the federal government. He has to give an answer by Tuesday. He and his wife have had no opportunity to fly down there and take a look around.

They are devout Christians. Politically conservative. They love the outdoors. He likes to hunt and shoot trap. They both love to go hiking.

He was raised in the suburbs of Chicago, and currently they live in Maryland and work in D.C. They hate it there. They think of themselves as country people at heart.

What do you think? Will they fit in and like it there?

Thanks in advance.
    DC or LR? Yes, and Yes. did I mention yes? Much better than DC in my opinion.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

I don't know anything about Little Rock, but he should do whatever he can to get out of Maryland. That is unless he likes paying outrageous taxes, high prices for housing, gas, food, etc. etc.

Granted the Eastern Shore of Maryland is a little better; at least we have farm land and less local traffic here. But, working in DC and living probably in PG or Montgomery County.....no thanks!
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Little rocks to big for me but you dont half to drive far to get in the country my sisters moving to dc next month id way rather live in little Rock than dc

If he's on the LEO side of Fed work he'll find many transplants there as well.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

I live about 30 minutes from LR to the north and its perfect, I am far enough out in the country that I have no issues but close enough to the city if I ever need anything. With all the things you listed he likes to do in your first post, I don't think he would be able to move to a better place. I would recommend finding somewhere outside of the city to live and he will feel like he is in the boone docks compated to dc.
    Rankin' Retrievers

Kevin, my brother lives just north of Conway (a town called Greenbriar), which is north of Little Rock. They are from our area and moved down there a few years ago. They love it there. If you or they are interested in talking to them, PM me and I can forward their number.
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough" Vince Stone

arkansas is "the natural state". some of the best duck hunting on the continent. probably the best fly fishing/trout fishing east of the rockies. big deer, nice bass lakes, hot springs, mountains, prairies, deltas, forests, agriculture.......and a large market for dentures! tell your son a good Christian boy can go to Sunday School in chest waders in arkansas and nobody will even look up from their Bible when he walks into class late during duck season. everthing is within two hours drive of little rock.

at one time i intended to retire to arkansas. but now i am content to continue spending 10% of my time there. i am going to wet wade and drift the white and norfork later this month. mountain home, cotter and norfork are awesome fishing towns. this is the kind of rainbow my son catches on the norfork......me, not so much!

0705132147[1].jpg

this is an arkansas timber hole and a ten man limit.

~[1].jpg
    Last edited by roseberry; 07-06-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    john mccallie

Strong opinion. Don't wait until tommorrow. Call them today. ABSOLUTE NO BRAINER. Central Arkansas is a good down home place, yet not nearly as "backwoods" as some might lead you to believe. As others have said..... Easy driving distance= Great trout fishing. Scenic Hiking. Whitewater canoeing. Good Food. Great flooded rice field hunting. Great FLOODED GREEN TIMBER HUNTING. Great Largemouth Bass fishing. Great water ski lakes. Enough good golf courses. Lots of State Parks/Camping areas. Horse racing. Good deer hunting. etc etc etc.... Decent tax structure. Awesome cost of living ( as compared ). Get out of the city a tad and drive in. The worst day of a traffic commute in LR will seem like a walk to the refrigerator coming from DC. It sounds like they will love it there. TELL THEM TO RUN. RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!!
    Last edited by LESTER LANGLEY; 07-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.

he needs to learn one phrase immediately

SOOOEY....SOOOEY PIG.... or .... WOO PIG SOOEY

A chant of “Woo Pig Sooie” is known worldwide as a Hog Call. Just like any good tradition, there are lots of versions of the Hog Call (even spellings).

A properly executed Hog Call is composed of three “calls,” slowly raising one’s arms from the knees to above the head during the “Woo.” Traditionalists prescribe an eight second “Woo.” The fingers should be wiggled and the “Woo” should build in volume and pitch as the arms rise.

Upon completion of the “Woo,” both arms are brought straight down with fists clinched as if executing a chin-up while yelling, “Pig”. The right arm is extended up and out with the “Sooie.”

A full Hog Call -- the kind one will always hear victorious Razorback teams execute after contests -- requires two more Hog Calls, followed immediately by a “Razor-Backs” yell, coordinated with a pumping motion of the right arm after the third “Sooie.” So, in order, the full Hog Call is:
    Woooooooo. Pig. Sooie!
    Woooooooo. Pig. Sooie!
    Woooooooo. Pig. Sooie!
    Razorbacks!
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"