The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise

Default Exercise

How do you exercise your dogs on days that you don't train. Reason I ask is because I have a four year old that I can't seem to get weight off of. I train 3-4 days a week and use a chuck it to throw tennis balls the days we don't train. Anyway, I have also noticed a slight decrease in her training attitude recently. Maybe too many fun tennis balls? Thinking I may just start running her around the yard (with a ranger) to exercise her, but wanted to hear what y'all do. Thank you
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

The ranger is a great idea, but I would also look at possibly her thyroid due to the decreased training attitude. I would also decrease The amount of her foods, or switch to a lower fat food.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by boyetthunter View Post
    How do you exercise your dogs on days that you don't train. Reason I ask is because I have a four year old that I can't seem to get weight off of. I train 3-4 days a week and use a chuck it to throw tennis balls the days we don't train. Anyway, I have also noticed a slight decrease in her training attitude recently. Maybe too many fun tennis balls? Thinking I may just start running her around the yard (with a ranger) to exercise her, but wanted to hear what y'all do. Thank you
    Exercise never hurts but you are training a fair amount. I would consider looking at your dogs food/feeding schedule. Feed for the weight that you want the dog to be, not for the weight that the dog currently is. Just doing that with a high quality feed and moderate exercise (which you are already doing) should be all that you need to do barring any health issues like JusticeDog suggested.

Thanks for the replys. I had her thyroid check 3 weeks ago and was completely normal. At the same time I decreased her food from 2cups 2x/day to 1.5cups 2x/day. I also had her ears checked thinking it could be due to ear infection,but that was clear also. She has stayed at 60 lbs the whole time I have had her until recently she went to 65lbs and can't get her to drop it. I feed her the new 26/16 pro plan performance. I was feeding the 30/20 pro plan until about 2 weeks ago.

Weight is something I am always thinking about. First I change their food from 32% protein, 18% fat to a 26%, 16% in the off season. I check their weight and if they are still gaining, I will cut their food 1/4 cup at a time until they are losing. I will stay there until I reach what I want, then bump it 1/2 cup to maintain.

Keith

Another thing too. She has started eating alot slower. She used to gulp down all her food pretty quickly but since I picked her up from the vet, after having her boarded for 5 days, she will leave some food in the bowl which isn't like her at all. But I will try to cut her back a little more. She gets 3 cups/ day total right now.

Regarding the exercise part of your question, swimming is great exercise and easy on the joints. My husband and I take the dogs to a large pond. He stands on one side and I stand on the other and we just call them back and forth. They love it, and it's easy on their brains. Do you think she might be slowing down a little bit just because it's summer, hot and humid? Mine eat less and have less enthusiasm on hot days.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Very possible! But she just doesn't seem her normal outgoing self haha. Hopefully it will improve in the upcoming weeks

On days I am working and not training, when humid, I have been getting up early and bike with them. I take one at a time. Great exercise for you and the dog. I also put my older guy on ProPlan Weight Management. He has lost 5 lbs.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

All dogs use their food differently. Just like training, feed the dog in front of you, not the one on the bag (or in a book). My crew has 5 acres to run on and believe me, they sprint the 300+ yds at times to the bottom, but I still have 3 that do just fine on 2C a day (if not less for the oldest).