The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Exercise

She is fixed. And I changed her from 2C 2x/day down to 1.5 C 2x/day for the last 3 weeks and she has only lost 4 lbs. just would like to results to happen instantly. Haha but I just need to change my thinking.
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace MH (FC AFC Espirits power play x Viking calamity Kate MH)

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by boyetthunter View Post
    She is fixed. And I changed her from 2C 2x/day down to 1.5 C 2x/day for the last 3 weeks and she has only lost 4 lbs. just would like to results to happen instantly. Haha but I just need to change my thinking.
    I'd drop her to just over 1C (heaping maybe) 2x a day. I have 2- 4yo's, a 3yo, and a 2 yo here too, and they are intact (ie supposedly higher metabolism than if spayed), but still only need 2.5 to 3 C MAX per day to maintain at a fit weight.
    Again, feed the dog what she needs only and forget the guilty feeling that the bag says.....

I will definitely try that. Thanks everyone for the info!
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace MH (FC AFC Espirits power play x Viking calamity Kate MH)

I had this issue a few months ago. A youg dog (1 yr.old) Got plenty of exercise and would not lose weight. i ended up cutting her food back to 1 cup 2X daily. She looks great now
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    Exercise never hurts but you are training a fair amount. I would consider looking at your dogs food/feeding schedule. Feed for the weight that you want the dog to be, not for the weight that the dog currently is. Just doing that with a high quality feed and moderate exercise (which you are already doing) should be all that you need to do barring any health issues like JusticeDog suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by boyetthunter View Post
    Thanks for the replys. I had her thyroid check 3 weeks ago and was completely normal. At the same time I decreased her food from 2cups 2x/day to 1.5cups 2x/day. I also had her ears checked thinking it could be due to ear infection,but that was clear also. She has stayed at 60 lbs the whole time I have had her until recently she went to 65lbs and can't get her to drop it. I feed her the new 26/16 pro plan performance. I was feeding the 30/20 pro plan until about 2 weeks ago.
    Did they do an in house thyroid or send it to the lab ( Michigan) for a full panel? I would def send one off...
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Exercise, Biking (I get some too , I'm not of the opinion that walking or running with a dog gives them enough stress to really start burning calories, many dogs can trot and roam miles in a field all day long without getting tired, (I can not say the same ). Their bodies are built to store and use minimal energy under such conditions. If you want a dog to burn calories you need to break them out of that ground pounding trot, you will not be able to run fast enough for long enough to really make a difference to an in-shape dog. Swimming-dock diving they do that until they pass out, Roading with a quad, I also have a treadmill that the dogs love when I'm working out, but as the weathers so nice we aren't using it much these days .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-08-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I've seen a definite increase in her training attitude since we have stopped the endless supply of tennis ball freebies. I have cut her down to 1 C 2x/day. So we will see. Thyroid panel was done in house. Thanks