The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exercise

So should I drop her down lower to maybe 1.25 C 2x/day for switch to a weight management food until I get her down where she used to be (which is around 58-60lbs), then switch back to performance food? I "run her usually 3 times/ day on days we don't train.
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

I think it is your chose, What you are looking for is she loosing weight. I think you are running her just fine.

Holey smoley, my Goldens would be kegs on legs with that much food! My active, intact 67 pound male gets 1 cup of Pro Plan, twice a day.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Hahahaha I used to feed her 2-2.5 C 2x/day and she stayed at 58 lbs and wouldn't budge!

I ran into the same problem with my 7 yo clm. I wasn't running him that hard and he was looking tubby and very sluggish. He weighed close to 90lbs and I wasn't happy. I cut back his feeding from 2 cups a day to 1.5 per day and had a friend who is training for a marathon take him for her runs in the am. He quickly dropped down to 80lb (I would prefer him to be closer to 75lbs.).

Note: the food I feed is nearly 500 kcal/cup.

Mine got up to 70 lbs 3 weeks ago, but weighed her today and was 66.4 lbs. so we are going the right direction I just don't really see a difference yet. Would like her to be back down to 60.

Easiest thing for extra exercise.
    Buy a Treadmill like a ProForm from Costco or whatever. Just needs to be Long Belt 60" and speed adjustable in 1/10th mph.
    Get dog on treadmill, stuff bumper in mouth, bump speed up to 3 mph give or take, go take shower & shave, come back in 20 minutes, done.
    After a little intro training none of my dogs needed leash and would jump on treadmill wanting to go. After a few times of leaving room to get coffee I realized they would ignore me and keep running. Then I thought I don't need to sit there for a half hour so spent the time showering for work. 1/2 hour on treadmill is like a good session running marks.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I don't think we maintain 3 mph for the whole time, but every morning I take my dogs for a one mile walk. Usually takes about 30 minutes including breaks for them to sniff grass, pee, etc. Unless your marathon running friend trains on dirt or sand roads, I would be hesitant to let the dog run that much on hard surfaces. A treadmill would be nice, but I need the exercise too and I prefer the outdoors. They also get at least two afternoons a week on water with long swims, 200 - 300 yard long pond. We only get up to the forest for big marks about once a week. This regime seems to have them all very fit and healthy. Certainly better than we can do in the winter! There are certainly days then that a tread mill would look real good to me!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I bike Hudson for conditioning in addition training and his evening walk. We have been struggling with some weight loss issues too, once the breeding season hit I literally didn't have time to sleep 4 hrs a night let alone walk the dog.

We train for short sessions 6 days a week) (about 15-20 min. I found that he works best this way. Every night after we train, we walk for 2.5 miles on a gravel and grass path at the park. We bike for 20 minutes 2 days, then 1 day off in the mornings when its as cool as it will be. I am hoping to work up the biking to 30 minutes as he increases fitness. He has lost 5.5 # and is now at 79, but I would like to see him between 74-76. He is eating 1000 kcal/day.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Holey smoley, my Goldens would be kegs on legs with that much food! My active, intact 67 pound male gets 1 cup of Pro Plan, twice a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by boyetthunter View Post
    Hahahaha I used to feed her 2-2.5 C 2x/day and she stayed at 58 lbs and wouldn't budge!
    I don't think that this is too much. My kennel is in NE Texas and I feed the average lab 3 cups of PPP per day just to keep the weight on while training and for some I have to go up to 4 if they are on the larger side just to stay on the low end of ideal body conditioning.