The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exercise

We take our skiff out and paddle the river with dogs swimming along side. Its a great summer workout for the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Easiest thing for extra exercise.
    Buy a Treadmill like a ProForm from Costco or whatever. Just needs to be Long Belt 60" and speed adjustable in 1/10th mph.
    Get dog on treadmill, stuff bumper in mouth, bump speed up to 3 mph give or take, go take shower & shave, come back in 20 minutes, done.
    After a little intro training none of my dogs needed leash and would jump on treadmill wanting to go. After a few times of leaving room to get coffee I realized they would ignore me and keep running. Then I thought I don't need to sit there for a half hour so spent the time showering for work. 1/2 hour on treadmill is like a good session running marks.
    I also use a treadmill, slow trot with varying amounts of incline. I don't leave the dog unattended on the treadmill.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

I take the dogs running with me (unless it's too hot) They particularly enjoy trail running, where I can take them off leash. If it's too hot swimming/fun bumpers may be only option for mine. They also do lots of walking with me.
    HR UUD GRACH4 ROC UNJ About Time Ben SH UD RE AX MXJ OF WCX CGC "Ben"
    SHR Ironpaws Black Rock Time To Dream CGC "Kona"
    SHR Ironpaws Westshore Meant To Be CGC "Toby"
    Ironpaws Rags To Riches CGC "Zipp"

The dogs also don't mind trotting on a treadmill, especially if I am nearby riding my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    Exercise never hurts but you are training a fair amount. I would consider looking at your dogs food/feeding schedule. Feed for the weight that you want the dog to be, not for the weight that the dog currently is. Just doing that with a high quality feed and moderate exercise (which you are already doing) should be all that you need to do barring any health issues like JusticeDog suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Weight is something I am always thinking about. First I change their food from 32% protein, 18% fat to a 26%, 16% in the off season. I check their weight and if they are still gaining, I will cut their food 1/4 cup at a time until they are losing. I will stay there until I reach what I want, then bump it 1/2 cup to maintain.

Keith
    Ditto what the above posters said. If the dog is too fat, cut the food quantity until they are at the weight where you wan them to be, then increase slightly to maintain. Don't worry about counting calories, just feed LESS! The heat also affects dogs in their energy levels, and some will eat slower or less amounts because of it. I find mine rather irritable about this time of year as well due to temps, a lot harder to keep a kennel happy than in spring or fall.
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

Thanks everyone for the replays. Keep'em coming!
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

Doesn't matter how much exercise you give them if they are overfed. Much like people. I say this because I know, (from myself)

Has she had a heat cycle lately? If so, she might be having a false pregnancy which usually results in unexplained weight gain. Had it happen recently after a failed breeding.
    Courage-being scared to death but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

If you don't know where you're going, every road will get you there.

Pick your battles. Be sure they're small enough to win but big enough to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Marenich View Post
    Doesn't matter how much exercise you give them if they are overfed. Much like people. I say this because I know, (from myself)
    Haha! Was just thinking the same. A friend of the family's used to have a saying that he/she is too fat because they EAT TOO MUCH!
    I personally think it's easy to maintain my dogs' weight. Just feed less. I once took back a 7yo who was tipping the scale at nearly 100#. Dog should have been 75#. My vet told me to feed 3/4 C twice a day, that dogs do remarkably well w/ "crash diets". And he did. Actually I think his new owner decided 72# was ideal. They probably were able to level off at ~2C a day in the end. Some just use their food much better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Haha! Was just thinking the same. A friend of the family's used to have a saying that he/she is too fat because they EAT TOO MUCH!
    I personally think it's easy to maintain my dogs' weight. Just feed less. I once took back a 7yo who was tipping the scale at nearly 100#. Dog should have been 75#. My vet told me to feed 3/4 C twice a day, that dogs do remarkably well w/ "crash diets". And he did. Actually I think his new owner decided 72# was ideal. They probably were able to level off at ~2C a day in the end. Some just use their food much better than others.
    I believe this is the reason to adjust the amount per dog instead of a one size fits all...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters