The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogtra users

Your distance problem might be related to the age of your batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Olddog View Post
    Your distance problem might be related to the age of your batteries.
    Yes I am thinking that way from the other person's comments. I am getting a new Dogtra in about two weeks. I have never used mine much except on the pager, but am learning more. Yesterday I misplaced the collar and I was frantically looking for it. I purchased the collar from the late Kim Moses who I had some very early on training so it has sentimental value. Thanks for all your comments.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Mary,

My problem has not been solved by batteries, once I noticed that the range was not what it used to be I replaced the battery in transmitter and collar, still did not help the issue. I ended up buying a TT.
    Rankin' Retrievers

Maybe get a Tri-Tronics? They have a new Garmin model which closely resembles Dogtra's product line.

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/...n-Fitness.html

127 levels? Christ I wouldn't know what to do with that many. Hard to believe I have managed all these years with 6 continuous on all my TT's.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

It sounds like a lot of stimulation but it takes about 10-12 levels on a dogtra to make the difference in 1 different level on a TT. I have the TT pro 500 and when it is on a 6 it is much more hot than the dogtra on 127.
    Rankin' Retrievers

I run Gunner between 65 - 75. I may turn it down a tad for water work 45 - 50 and line manners 25. I have used my friends TT when I left mine on the charger at home. We operate it at 4 to 4 1/2.
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Brewer View Post
    It sounds like a lot of stimulation but it takes about 10-12 levels on a dogtra to make the difference in 1 different level on a TT. I have the TT pro 500 and when it is on a 6 it is much more hot than the dogtra on 127.
    I completely disagree. IMO, 127 is MUCH hotter than a high 6 on a TT...that said, the stimulation is MUCH different. On a Dogtra the stim is a very rapid bump, bump, bump....on the TT it as a much slower bump...bump...bump...
    Either way the range problem on the OP's collar isnt solely the battery...it sounds like the antennae too...i'd bet if you gave their customer service a call they'd get you straight in a matter of minutes. They are an excellent company to work with and will take the extra step to make sure their customers are happy.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    I completely disagree. IMO, 127 is MUCH hotter than a high 6 on a TT...that said, the stimulation is MUCH different. On a Dogtra the stim is a very rapid bump, bump, bump....on the TT it as a much slower bump...bump...bump...
    Either way the range problem on the OP's collar isnt solely the battery...it sounds like the antennae too...i'd bet if you gave their customer service a call they'd get you straight in a matter of minutes. They are an excellent company to work with and will take the extra step to make sure their customers are happy.
    Yes, I fully intend to get this one fixed once I get my new Dogtra in a couple of weeks. I have had no problems with the Dogtra collar over the years (mostly used the pager) but noticed not working as well farther out at a higher level and is too inconsistent for training new concepts. It is also going dead quick. Paul, I did like the new Garmin you showed and may consider if the older Dogtra can't be fixed. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray