The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kennel cough prevention ?

So would the proper cycle be intranasal then 3 months later injectable? So every 3 months they are getting an alternating vaccine?
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I just alternate between the 2 every 6 months. Hudson got HORRIBLE kennel cough, in hindsight it may have been flu even, at a dog show when he was 3. After that, I went to vaccinating every 6 months, and I haven't had a problem since. Maybe its just good luck though-
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Has either dog been to the vet? Groomer? Pet store?
    If not, I would question the diagnosis. Unfortunately, some vets are very quick to call everything respiratory "kennel cough". If she has no risk factors, I'd be much more suspicious of pneumonia, bronchitis, blastomycosis, or a host of other issues, some of them quite serious, rather than kennel cough.
    My avatar dog just got over pneumonia. The only symptom was a cough that sounded exactly like the classic kennel cough type cough. Luckily, my vet did a chest xray and found the pneumonia. With quick and proper treatment, it went away very fast with no residual problems.

Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    My pup was diagnosed with kennel cough last Monday and hasn't been around any other dogs other than my old dog,which also hasn't been around any other dogs. How did she get it? When you say "aerosol transmission" does that mean it could be still in the air for a length of time after other dogs have left?We train in an area that could possibly have had other dogs there before,although I think it is doubtful. Thanks.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Has either dog been to the vet? Groomer? Pet store?
    If not, I would question the diagnosis. Unfortunately, some vets are very quick to call everything respiratory "kennel cough". If she has no risk factors, I'd be much more suspicious of pneumonia, bronchitis, blastomycosis, or a host of other issues, some of them quite serious, rather than kennel cough.
    My avatar dog just got over pneumonia. The only symptom was a cough that sounded exactly like the classic kennel cough type cough. Luckily, my vet did a chest xray and found the pneumonia. With quick and proper treatment, it went away very fast with no residual problems.
    No,in fact I had been out of town all the week before for work so she was at home with my wife and I know she didn't take her anywhere.Now that's not to say that some local neighborhood mutt wasn't in my yard at night but I rarely see any of the neighbors dogs in my yard. You do bring up something....I had been doing some water training and she got some big gulps of water,hacked,gagged,choked and even puked. A few days later she had this horrible cough. I thought she got something from the water maybe but the vet said no.Could she have?

Kennel cough sure seems like it would be low on the list of possibilities. JMO, I'd request a chest xray to see what it shows. Sounds more like aspiration pneumonia to me, but of course, I am not a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    No,in fact I had been out of town all the week before for work so she was at home with my wife and I know she didn't take her anywhere.Now that's not to say that some local neighborhood mutt wasn't in my yard at night but I rarely see any of the neighbors dogs in my yard. You do bring up something....I had been doing some water training and she got some big gulps of water,hacked,gagged,choked and even puked. A few days later she had this horrible cough. I thought she got something from the water maybe but the vet said no.Could she have?

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    So would the proper cycle be intranasal then 3 months later injectable? So every 3 months they are getting an alternating vaccine?
    I give my vaccines every 6 months. don't need it every 3 months. This past year, I only gave the intranasal with parainfluenza every 6 months. there had been a bad outbreak of kennel cough in wisconsin last year, and my dogs didn't get sick. One coughed mildly for 1-2 days. I had given the intranasal with the parainfluenza component.

I have one that fights like a banshee with the intranasal vaccine. next time, for him, I am considering getting the new oral vaccine, however, it does not have the influenza component.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com