The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kennel cough prevention ?

I was told that a lot of dogs who were at Horicon a couple weeks ago turned up "snotty and snorty, sneezing and coughing" a week later. That's why I asked.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I kinda figured that was why you asked,but it did make me remember running there.

Wife and I drove 7-8 hours to watch her blow off a poorly shot flyer in the water series that was swimming around in the wide open(JH) thats when I realized I need pro advise if we where going to keep playing. Funny looking back ,but man I was pizzed then.

Then the air went out on our vehicle while we where there and had to drive home with no air. They had a heat advisory for the area and most of the midwest that weekend.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    I kinda figured that was why you asked,but it did make me remember running there.

Wife and I drove 7-8 hours to watch her blow off a poorly shot flyer in the water series that was swimming around in the wide open(JH) thats when I realized I need pro advise if we where going to keep playing. Funny looking back ,but man I was pizzed then.

Then the air went out on our vehicle while we where there and had to drive home with no air. They had a heat advisory for the area and most of the midwest that weekend.
    OOOH the days before air conditioner....When I said I need some air ,Dad said ,roll the window down ....How times have changed...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    I vaccinate my guys twice a year. It doesn't always prevent it, but it helps.
    BTW, were you in Horicon and/or at Bong in the past couple of weeks?
    Barb, we were in Horicon a couple weeks ago and Sniper is sneezing like crazy. PM me please.
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough" Vince Stone

PM sent.
    I wasn't there. I had a friend tell me that a bunch of the dogs that were there, including his dog, were snotty and sneezy about a week later. I don't know what caused it, but no one seemed real concerned about it.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Make sure your intranasal vaccine also prevents parainfluenza as well as Bordetella. Not all do. As Dr. Ed said, you should also use the injectable. I give my Bordetella vaccine twice a year for my competitive dogs.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Make sure your intranasal vaccine also prevents parainfluenza as well as Bordetella. Not all do. As Dr. Ed said, you should also use the injectable. I give my Bordetella vaccine twice a year for my competitive dogs.

That is what she (vet) recommended ,twice a year since she will exposed to so many environments and other dogs. I will let her know that I want both vaccines.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Infectious tracheobronchitis is caused by a combination of the parainfluenza virus and a bacteria Bordetella Bronchiseptica. It is highly contagious and spread by direct contact with an infected dog or by aerosol transmission. The best prevention is afforded by the use of both the intransal and injectable vaccines.
    My pup was diagnosed with kennel cough last Monday and hasn't been around any other dogs other than my old dog,which also hasn't been around any other dogs. How did she get it? When you say "aerosol transmission" does that mean it could be still in the air for a length of time after other dogs have left?We train in an area that could possibly have had other dogs there before,although I think it is doubtful. Thanks.

And that brings up a question. Injectable once a year and then followed up by an intranasal 6 months later? I've been using the intranasal only, but have been considering putting the injectable in there.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

There is an old paper published in JAVMA- they suggested that the best immunity was afforded by combining intranasal and injectable products so you got good local immunity and good systemic antibody titers as well. I give both annually, six months apart.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH