The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok.....so just how BIG is the retriever games community?????

Even when I lived in SC the nearest club events were almost 200 miles. Now they go up to 300 or more! Keep on truckin'
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

4 This is going to take awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Bob View Post
    4 This is going to take awhile.
    Funny, Bob.

I have no precise or even close to accurate number. I think it's very small. My guess would be around 2000 active or even a little bit active Field trialers in the whole country. Activly running trials a lot less.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

our club has dropped in membership in the last 3 years as we age, young people just don't seem as interested and it also takes a lot of time and money to do this. I have people watch me all the time and ask how to train their dogs I will tell them, and tell them about our club but the very next time I see them walking their dog it's still pulling them along like a rented mule. but hope sprigs eternal as I am going to put on a youth training day for delta waterfowl kids next month.

Don't know that this will help this discussion/analysis but EE had approx 76,000 entries between AKC FTs and HTs in 2012 including about 25 HRC events. The split is approx 60% HTs entries and 40% FT entries.
    David Didier, GA

I would think lots of entries, mutiple dogs entered mutiple times by few handlers. A lot of people run 20 trials a year with one dog some run 2.

It would seem pretty easy for EE to see how many people there are.

Of course easy 'cause I wouldn't have to do it...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Definitely think it is less then 5,000 that are truly active in the sport, ie they run trials with their dogs on a regular basis, participate in clubs....ect. It is getting smaller every year just like bird hunting in general. No one is really addressing it either. I am very thankful that I am in the very active NC/SC/GA area. It must be very tough in some of the less active areas

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Don't know that this will help this discussion/analysis but EE had approx 76,000 entries between AKC FTs and HTs in 2012 including about 25 HRC events. The split is approx 60% HTs entries and 40% FT entries.
    I wonder how many people have entered a dog in a Amateur or Open in the last year. I bet it is less then 1,000 people. Hunt tests both in the HRC and AKC seem to be doing better. I am that 30 something target demo and to me FT just seems so inaccessible. I ran in some derbies and Quals other guys like me. Even got my dog QAA. I ran one Am but now I am likely done with FT except for the odd one here or there. Just don't have the resources to be competitive.

I wonder if field trials are in trouble or if that is the way it has always been. That there will be just enough people making the leap as they get wealthier or older to keep it going.
    Last edited by Nate_C; 07-07-2013 at 01:20 AM.

I belong to 2 clubs that are close to me. I could belong to 5 within a 2 hr drive if I was insane. Working for 2 is enough for me. My usual training groups consists of 7-8 people. Many of the people in my clubs don't enter trials but do train and hunt.
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.