The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Problem Casting - OVER

Default Problem Casting - OVER

My dog has started what I guess is called popping on his over casts. Seems more noticable with right overs. It's only started occurring in the last few days so I'm hopping I can fix in before it becomes a bad habit. So basically what happens is I send him on a blind, give a whistle sit, then cast him with a right over. He goes a couple steps then stops, sits and looks at me. So what can I do to fix this? We have done baseball drills and walking baseball drills and he does fine on those. Seems it only occurs on the cold blinds.

any suggestions appreciated!!

Yep, that's popping. But back up a bit to how he was trained to handle. Did you fully force this dog? Even on casts? I'm specifically asking about what tools you have to use with him.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Newf View Post
    My dog has started what I guess is called popping on his over casts. Seems more noticable with right overs. It's only started occurring in the last few days so I'm hopping I can fix in before it becomes a bad habit. So basically what happens is I send him on a blind, give a whistle sit, then cast him with a right over. He goes a couple steps then stops, sits and looks at me. So what can I do to fix this? We have done baseball drills and walking baseball drills and he does fine on those. Seems it only occurs on the cold blinds.

any suggestions appreciated!!
    Both of these drills are a process to help convey the idea of movement when directed....I find when going to cold blinds a lot of body movement helps some dogs to get the idea...Walk it out and repeat the command...It takes courage for a dog to dive into the unknown and some have a more reckless attitude than others...more reps with success is the way I go about it ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters