The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Puppy Stake for Golden Nat'l Specialty

Default Puppy Stake for Golden Nat'l Specialty

Puppy stake will be on Sunday during the WC WCX at 10:30 a.m. and cost is $30 and you can enter early or you can enter the day of the event. 12 months and under, goldens only, single marks, either ducks or bring your own bumper.

So now who's coming to Texas?
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Can anyone fill me in on the rules involved in puppy stakes? I know it is singles but that's about all got. Thanks

There aren't really official rules per se, but generally:

Single marks land and water. The judges will determine distance of the marks, but usually they are not very long. This is not a Derby stake. We want to see pups of all ages have fun, even the itty bitty ones.

Pups must be under 12 months on day of test. They can be entered in other stakes.

Handlers can choose to use ducks for the retrieve, or bring a bumper.

Delivery to hand is not required. Immediate return to handler is not required. Eventually returning to somewhere within 5 miles of the handler is highly encouraged. Verbal praise and encouragement is fine. Falling down and begging pup to return to you is great for photo ops, and will make you lots of friends.

Young or novice pups will be permitted to move up for the marks if need be, or helped out by the gunners, or allowed to dash away with the bird while we all give merry chase, but of course these pups will be judged accordingly against those pups who don’t need that kind of help. There is a 1st through 4th place and a LOT of JAMS for those who just come to have a lot of fun. You can choose to be competitive with your pup and try for a placement, or if your pup is just starting out, you can choose to let your pup have fun with birds or bumpers and still play the game.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Thanks. That is exactly the info I was looking for.