The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what is the Retriever World like in the Boston area?

Default So what is the Retriever World like in the Boston area?

There is a small chance I may end up I the Boston area for a couple of years and wondering what the Retriever situation is up that way. No idea where I will live if I do end up there, but I would guess the suburbs of Boston. Woburn is where the company is based so I would want to be I that general area. In addition to retrieve clubs, training l would be open to suggestions regarding the best places to live in the area and any other suggestions.
    Thanks
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

And I should clarify that I mean Boston MA, not Boston GA.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

well......
    you are in a cluster of retriever clubs.
    field trials to the north south and west of you.
    retriever clubs, too many to type. Yankee, Yankee Golden, Greater Boston Lab, LCRC, Colonial, Granite State. and many I am missing.
    You can go to a hunt test every weekend at west thompson CT. or Simsburry.
    You can zip up into Maine in a flash or down to RI or come to Stowe and find hard core field trial folk playing in ponds dug just for doggies.
    One odd thing, of all of the clubs and folks mentioned. Nobody tests, or trains much in Mass. But in Ct. RI. NY. VT. and Maine. But as all us New England states are the size of a Texas Town or Florida county, it is not a big deal. I have left Burlington, VT the morning of a Yankee test in Ct. Crashed and burned right after test dog and been home afore lunch.
    If you ended up in Boston you can definetly keep your dogs running, and zip up and shoot Moose, Bear and Deer in the fall with just a tank of gas.
    If possible, try not to live in Mass. You like your guns, right?

edit, add on- if I were forced to work in Boston I would look for a place in Vermont in the area Vt NH and Mass meet. Near both 89 and 91. easy access to sea coast to the east, north south easy and just above the mass pike to swoop you too the west. Then you can keep all your guns and buy any you want 'cause you would be a vermonter (kinda) but be a minute man run from the city.
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 07-07-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

there might be a former Univ of Florida player's place that might be available......

maybe too soon ?
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Yes, my guns are an issue and I am considering living out of MA.
    What areas do you suggest that are reasonably close to Boston?

Not sure how I would fit in a club called Yankee.....
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    there might be a former Univ of Florida player's place that might be available......

maybe too soon ?
    A little out of my budget. He was a thug when he was a HS player and perfected his thugary in Gainesville. Hope he enjoys being a wide receiver rather than a tight end. The bright side is it opens the door for a real Gators to make a mark. Don't be surprised to see Tim at tight end a bit this year.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post

Just learn how to say "this one is a bahn buhna boys..." Interpreted for a southerner... Barn burner. (Dave Mosher used to say that a lot... Maybe still does?)
    Bill Davis

I am a big fan of the wicket pisser.

If you speak Georgia and Bamaeeze you can understand almost anything.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    well....edit, add on- if I were forced to work in Boston I would look for a place in Vermont in the area Vt NH and Mass meet. Near both 89 and 91. easy access to sea coast to the east, north south easy and just above the mass pike to swoop you too the west. Then you can keep all your guns and buy any you want 'cause you would be a vermonter (kinda) but be a minute man run from the city.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

BBG....Check out New Hampshire. My pro is up there just north of boston over the line in south Hampton NH. Like Ken said lot of good retriever clubs and people up this way.

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)