The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what is the Retriever World like in the Boston area?

Think your best bet would be somewhere up route 95, 93, or 3 just into New Hampshire. Little more gun friendly than Ma. Woburn is not as bad as actual Boston proper. Plenty of training opportunities, as well as several pros in the area. Depending on your other interests, plenty of bird hunting, upland, ducks,geese, sea ducks, as well as deer. Fishing is very good both for freshwater and ocean (striper,bluefish and cod and haddock as well as great shelfish. If you want pm me a phone # and I can give you all kinds of info, Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

There are 5 HRC clubs in New England and numerous AKC clubs. Yankee refers to the Yankee Waterfowlers Hunting Retrieve Club. They are chartered in RI but do most of their training and testing in CT. YWHRC is the largest HRC club in the region and holds HRC, AKC, and NAHRA tests as well as club events like Pheasant Championship, Singles Championship, Kids Day, ect. Clubs do not run test here in MA because of the expense. State law requires the clubs to pay for an EPO for the event if live birds are used. There is also a problem finding test grounds. You will find however that there are numerous small groups that train regularly on private land. Knowledgable hard working handlers and their dogs should not find it difficult to join up with one of these training group. Don't be afraid of the gun laws in MA. Since the shooting in CT the neighboring states are inacting new laws that are even tougher then ours. I have lived here all my live and never had a gun law problem. Your biggest problem will be buying ammo. Our laws prevent the sale of ammo to non residents. If you set up residence here you will be able to get the required FID card to buy ammo. Until then you can drive over the state line to NH or ME and buy ammo. No law against non residents bringing in ammo. As much as non residents complain about are laws it does not stop them from coming down here to hunt. You will find some real good hunting on the coastal marshes. Cape Cod has numerous places to hunt ducks and geese. If you move to the Boston suburbs, Granite State HRC would be the nearest HRC club to you. Great bunch of guys. It will be a whole lot colder here then in Florida.
    Last edited by wsumner; 07-07-2013 at 11:21 AM.

It's already been said, but LOTS of clubs and you can cross almost all of New England in a few hours. Tests/trials almost every weekend from April-October and upstate New York is an easy drive too. LOTS of great private land to train on and a lot of good folks to train with. I have trained quite a bit with Steve Hamel who lives in Belchertown. He will be the first to tell you that he hates the gun laws and one day he will leave MA, but for now he makes due. He has some sweet training spots and is an avid hunter, as well as heck of a nice guy. He belongs to Yankee Waterfowlers and they are a very welcoming club. Shoreline in CT is also a friendly bunch made up of folks who walk the walk. Maine and Vermont have trial grounds to die for and friendly land owners.

There is good waterfowl hunting all over New England and you can go from city to farmland in minutes. I think it's a beautiful place to live. Chris mentioned his pro, Lois Monroe (www.heartandsoulretrievers.com). She is a very good trainer and has group training.

Bottom line is that you won't have to give up anything moving here. We have mountains that will seem like foothills to you, but nothing prettier in the fall and plenty of things to do in the winter too.

Learn how to say "Wicked Good" and "Bah Hahbah" and you'll fit right in!!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Person View Post
    Think your best bet would be somewhere up route 95, 93, or 3 just into New Hampshire. Little more gun friendly than Ma. Woburn is not as bad as actual Boston proper. Plenty of training opportunities, as well as several pros in the area. Depending on your other interests, plenty of bird hunting, upland, ducks,geese, sea ducks, as well as deer. Fishing is very good both for freshwater and ocean (striper,bluefish and cod and haddock as well as great shelfish. If you want pm me a phone # and I can give you all kinds of info, Jim
    Thanks to everyone. Jim I will be in touch once I find out for sure which direction this is going to go. A lot depends on how much time I will have to spend on site. Still debating I it will be easier to just get a small apartment or something for myself if the amount of time I will have to be on site is limited to a year or so.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

In Mass. about an hour outside of Boston we have Buck Shope of Swift River retrievers who is a great Pro.
    Check out his web site and please keep in mind that he will be away till mid July

Freya

condolences........nice place to visit , wicked good peeps , but hell no to moving there Leaving NY asap , cause it ain't no better here regards
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Yes, my guns are an issue and I am considering living out of MA.
    What areas do you suggest that are reasonably close to Boston?

Not sure how I would fit in a club called Yankee.....
    Live in New Hampshire......lower taxes, lower cost of living, lower Nanny State pressures...

Real estate is half the price.

Manchester, Salem or Nashua come to mind

As stated, the sporting opportunities are very attractive and the seafood great. The seasons in New England are a treat. I am looking at a place in Castine, Maine as we speak.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 07-07-2013 at 05:49 PM.

You are gonna freeze your arse off but hey no moccasins, rattlesnakes, gators, or pythons.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    You are gonna freeze your arse off but hey no moccasins, rattlesnakes, gators, or pythons.
    no ducks either
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    No just black flies in the Spring.