The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highest priced retriever ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Malarky View Post
    Just wondering if someone knows what is the highest price that you know of a lab being sold for?
    No one other than buyer and seller know and they usually don't talk. Most of what the public knows is rumor. The $250K rumor seems to be the top end and while I know the dog it would be inappropriate to post on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    No one other than buyer and seller know and they usually don't talk. Most of what the public knows is rumor. The $250K rumor seems to be the top end and while I know the dog it would be inappropriate to post on a public forum.
    I agree private information open only to rumor speculation. Sold a few never talked even among close dog friends, it was fun to listen to the rumors. All I can say is unless you are willing to sell the best dog you have ever owned, don't get in the dog selling business.
    Earl Dillow

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

If you knew the price some people pay each year to campaign a dog(s), the price paid by someone buying a dog that is qualified for the nationals would not seem so outrageous. That amount is just another one of those things you don't ask about. Even most humble hunt testers don't want to know what they spend in a year and it is a fraction of what many FT's spend. Making a run at an FC is expensive and running a dog that is a national contender for several years in a row is more than most here could afford.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by pheona View Post
    Around 250,000 rumors Go?
    I think I heard the same "rumor" but with the one I heard it was 300,000 and a couple pups. Obviously just a Rumor without any facts at all to back it up. And yes, the name of the dog was told to me that this supposedly happened with, but like others have mentioned, I dont' think it is "right" to post it on an open forum especially since I dont' have a shred of evidence to back that claim up.

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    If you knew the price some people pay each year to campaign a dog(s), the price paid by someone buying a dog that is qualified for the nationals would not seem so outrageous. That amount is just another one of those things you don't ask about. Even most humble hunt testers don't want to know what they spend in a year and it is a fraction of what many FT's spend. Making a run at an FC is expensive and running a dog that is a national contender for several years in a row is more than most here could afford.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    All I can say is unless you are willing to sell the best dog you have ever owned, don't get in the dog selling business.
    mr. dillow,
    i like your observation. one must sell the good ones to be known for selling good ones.

bbg,
    you are correct as well. if the seller really captured all of their expenses, at $250k there is a possibility they might have turned a small profit?
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    mr. dillow,
    i like your observation. one must sell the good ones to be known for selling good ones.

bbg,
    you are correct as well. if the seller really captured all of their expenses, at $250k there is a possibility they might have turned a small profit?
    I know one that sold for a bundle, not 250K but still more than enough to bug your eyes out, and I know that the seller spent way more campaigning the dog than what the dog sold for. The buyer got a bargain.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

you have to remember that price is relative to the year the transaction might have taken place..according to an article is Sports Illustrated that was posted here recently it stated that Eddie Bauer was involved in what is believed to be the highest sale for a dog in the early 1970's at 20K( Wanapum Yo Yo)...according to the Baseball Almanac the average MLB salary in '72 was $35K,members of the '72 Miami Dolphins made between 18-38k/year, the avg annual salary for a person was less than 8k/year

So a transaction of that magnitude back then would have easily eclipsed the six figure range of today
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    you have to remember that price is relative to the year the transaction might have taken place..according to an article is Sports Illustrated that was posted here recently it stated that Eddie Bauer was involved in what is believed to be the highest sale for a dog in the early 1970's at 20K( Wanapum Yo Yo)...according to the Baseball Almanac the average MLB salary in '72 was $35K,members of the '72 Miami Dolphins made between 18-38k/year, the avg annual salary for a person was less than 8k/year

So a transaction of that magnitude back then would have easily eclipsed the six figure range of today

http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php

Actually Bon it would be $120,481.93.... a paultry 5 figure sale
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php

Actually Bon it would be $120,481.93.... a paultry 5 figure sale
    Um, am I ciphering wrong or is 120,000 not six figures?
    Corey Burke