The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crook in her tail???

Default Crook in her tail???

Friends, we had this litter of 10 pups back on the 3rd - and so far everyone seems to be doing great. They've all opened their eyes, and are all crawing around except for the fat one who can't seem to support his own weight yet. But yesterday I noticed something unnerving.

Yesterday we were checking on the pups, and looking each of them over, and noticed that one little female seems to have a crook in the tip end of her tail. She seems totally healthy otherwise, but has basically a right angle bend in her tail, about a half inch from the tip end. I touched at it, and it didn't seem to hurt her. It seems to bend straight down. She's able to crawl around like her brothers and sisters, and has her eyes open, and nurses normally, too.

I've never heard of this (of course, this is the first litter we've ever had) before. Any advice? I can't imagine how I missed this in the past. The vet must have missed it when he did their dewclaws several days ago, too.
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

I have a 17 month old that has a "crook" or bend in his tail about three inches from the tip. It feels like it was broke at one time. Its been like that since I got him at 8 weeks. It has never hurt him.

Mine has a slight crook 1" from the end. It shows up un the pics from when he was only 2 days old. I'm guessing momma stepped on it on day 1.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

It sounds like it could be broken, sorry.

Yeah, but what do I do about it???

Can I fix it, or is someone getting a really cheap dog?
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

Why would you discount the price on the pup for a small crook at the end of the tail? It won't affect the dog's working ability, and I am assuming you aren't raising conformation dogs (show dogs). I don't see it any different than a small white spot on the chest.

Meredith

Over the years I've seen several and had a litter that one chocolate male apparently broke his tail, but I agree that I have never seen it affect the dogs ability for hunting or training. the good thing is you coming up with a name is easy. Do you need a hint?
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    Yeah, but what do I do about it???

Can I fix it, or is someone getting a really cheap dog?
    Put that one on gundogbreeders.com.

Kidding aside - as a buyer I would, like most, evaluate the cost against the product. You might find a unique or sympathy buyer too. Depends somewhat on the nature and objective of the breeding - hence the audience. I saved a little on an EIC Carrier cause I don't plan to breed, although I could to a clear bitch.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Hey I know of a litter of pups, where the owner marked them by tieing a different colored string around the tail tip, 3 days later he had short tailed labs, never affected their talent, although I believe one owner may have tried to pass his brown pup off as a pointer a couple of times . Can't really do anything about it, you might be able to splint it straighter, other than that see how it develops, making sure it doesn't get infected. Just gives the pup a bit of character, nothing wrong with character, some breeders charge more for that .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-20-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    Friends, we had this litter of 10 pups back on the 3rd - and so far everyone seems to be doing great. They've all opened their eyes, and are all crawing around except for the fat one who can't seem to support his own weight yet. But yesterday I noticed something unnerving.

Yesterday we were checking on the pups, and looking each of them over, and noticed that one little female seems to have a crook in the tip end of her tail. She seems totally healthy otherwise, but has basically a right angle bend in her tail, about a half inch from the tip end. I touched at it, and it didn't seem to hurt her. It seems to bend straight down. She's able to crawl around like her brothers and sisters, and has her eyes open, and nurses normally, too.

I've never heard of this (of course, this is the first litter we've ever had) before. Any advice? I can't imagine how I missed this in the past. The vet must have missed it when he did their dewclaws several days ago, too.
    Half an Inch! that will be 12.5 cm? It doesn't hurt or distress when you touch?..A puppy don't have no break or touch at that point?...Spaniels/hunting breeds are docked tails ?
    Hmmm?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever