RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Advice about a barking dog

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Bender 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out with a situation of a barking dog...my co-worker likes to bring her dog to work with her-she is a very nice lab-but the dog barks as people approach the office doors. We/she has put up with this bad habbit for some time now and has finally come to realize that this is an unacceptable behavior. (This is the only situation in which the dog will bark). Would a bark collar help in a situation such as this? I know the easiest solution would be to not take the dog to work but this is not an option as it is not my dog or decision to make. Can anyone make a suggestion of a collar type/brand?
Thanks for any help you can give us.

#4 ·
I would have a prong collar and a short lead on the dog at all times. When he starts to bark, "NO, sit!" and correction with the prong collar. Dog needs to learn it is not his decision who gets to come in the door.

Meredith
I would use the quiet command instead of no ...I agree a lead and pinch collar with a jerk when ever the dog barks is a good suggestion...I would make the lead long enough that the jerk could be done from my desk chair...I believe teaching a command is better than just auto stimulation...Steve S

#3 ·
I like the Y-S 300 Dogtra yapper stopper. It gives a warning vibration prior to the actual zap. Other than that, a bottle of vinegar and water being sprayed in the face would also help.

#6 ·
Susan, what ratio of vinegar to water do you use? I have a dog box barker. Going to try this. (he is honey badger about the bark collar).

#7 ·
I start with one third white vinegar to two thirds water. If that does not work within a week, I keep upping the vinegar. I had one persistent barker that it took me 100% vinegar to get it manageable. The dog was almost two by the time I got her. Make sure you get a good spray bottle. Do not get the $1.01 from Home Depot. Get the one that costs $4-5. You need a strong spray and hit them right in the face. It takes their breath away. They will think like vinegar but who cares.?

#9 ·
STINK Tim, STINK!!! Darn voice Software!

#14 ·
Now that would be fun! Get 'em Carol!

#13 ·
Sure it will but overkill..:)

#15 · (Edited)
Your talking about the hand held weed blasters right???

** Additional info... My pup just turned 16 weeks, and he is one smart pup. He barks temporarily at night when put in his cage maybe 5 mins or less then he settles in. We have never let him out when he barks we have a standing rule that he must be quiet for 5 minutes straight before he gets let out. The problem is when he is crated outside his normal schedule he barks like crazy and wont stop. When I get up to tell him quiet - he quiets down before I even get within yelling distance, as if he can hear me get up from downstairs.

How can I correct him if he is behaving by the time I get there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.