The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Answer from AKC on votes to eliminate layout blinds.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    I guess I'm confused, happens often. I haven't run many test but I thought the judge had to title a dog before they could judge at that level. OK I can hear the get a rulebook replies.
    I think "It Depends" as Lisa Van Who used to type.
    trial or test? hrc, akc, or nahra?
    Title is a few passes. Sure it ain't simply qualify a dog once at level of?
    one of the groups I think the only "Need" is to have had a club ask you.
    And after they ask, you take a test.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I think "It Depends" as Lisa Van Who used to type.
    trial or test? hrc, akc, or nahra?
    Title is a few passes. Sure it ain't simply qualify a dog once at level of?
    one of the groups I think the only "Need" is to have had a club ask you.
    And after they ask, you take a test.
    That is surprising. As I said I only ran a couple of test but when I did the judges had run some nice dogs in their day. It was a long time ago and HRC so I am not familiar with other venues at all and out of touch with HRC. Still surprising.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Not title, run. I know people who borrowed a dog and ran it just to judge. This is one of the requirments
    (4) Must Remain an Active Handler: An individual
    must have handled a qualifying dog at the level he is being
    asked to judge or higher within seven (7) years of the date
    of the event. (Club’s responsibility to monitor.)
    In the past year AKC implemented this rule

(2) Handling Experience: At the Master test level and
    each division thereof, one Judge shall have qualified a dog or
    dogs (5) times at the Master level. At the Senior and Junior
    test levels and each division thereof, one Judge shall have qualified a dog or dogs four (4) times either at the level being
    judged or at a higher test level. Monitoring the qualifications
    of judges is the responsibility of the event-giving club.
    /Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

as someone who has asked club members to work a field trial for almost every year since 1970 I can tell you it is hard to ask someone to go into a field when the temp is 80+ degrees and cover up in a layout blind after throwing a bird. a well brushed blind is bad enough when no breeze is going through --- I hope all respondents to his thread have had the pleasure of throwing birds and then hiding in a layout blind for maybe half the field of 80 all age dogs when a test may take more than 15 minutes
    trog
    trog

Quote Originally Posted by trog View Post
    as someone who has asked club members to work a field trial for almost every year since 1970 I can tell you it is hard to ask someone to go into a field when the temp is 80+ degrees and cover up in a layout blind after throwing a bird. a well brushed blind is bad enough when no breeze is going through --- I hope all respondents to his thread have had the pleasure of throwing birds and then hiding in a layout blind for maybe half the field of 80 all age dogs when a test may take more than 15 minutes
    trog
    I have done every job at a field trial including spending time in a layout blind. I would again if the situation demanded and I don't mind asking a person we are paying $100 per day to do the same. The issue is not if being a retired gunner in whatever fashion is comfortable but that in my area retiring a gun in an artificial blind regardless of natural brushing is simply not effective because vegetation other than grass is generally not plentiful. As a judge the alternative is long and tight and that is what you will get and the protestors will yell loud and long that those marks are unnecessary. Judges should have options and this poorly thought out rule removes a very good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    The same way AKC hunt test judges who are suppose to have extensive hunting experience that have never hunted, now judge or AKC field trial judges who judge various stakes who have never campaigned a dog in the stake they are judging.
    So rhetorically , what else is new? Maybe Earth dog ( don't have a clue what it is) people administering various events!
    Real world not perfect world. Goes on all the time in the nonmdog world. Maybe a little bit of the " Peter Principal" too,
    People rise to the level of their incompetence . Nuff sarcasm for today had a bad day dog training rather then take it out on dogs vent on RTF for displacement.
    I looked at doing Earth dog - those folks think their ankle biters are as valuable as retrievers. Only certain breeds can do Earth dog. Have wanted to go to an event but they are held to far away.

A nice guy like you needs more bad days with your dogs so you pass on your experiences in this sport .

You'd be amazed at the number of folks judging AA stakes who've never placed a dog in one, including the person a short time back nominated to judge the National & did.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

All of our workers are club volunteers - sorry it is still hard to ask one of them to spend time in a layout blind
    we seldom use any paid workers at the Madison Retriever club or the Wisconsin Amateur Field Trial Club
    trog

Quote Originally Posted by trog View Post
    All of our workers are club volunteers - sorry it is still hard to ask one of them to spend time in a layout blind
    we seldom use any paid workers at the Madison Retriever club or the Wisconsin Amateur Field Trial Club
    Your terrain probably doesn't require it. But clubs and folks who think like you do took that option away from those who need the option... And were willing to pay someone to do it.
    Bill Davis

A MEN, - ED!

The rest of this puzzle is the answer to the question, "how did the RAC vote?

This arbitrary "legislation" is judging by legislation and excludes options
    needed by experienced judges who understand 'Bird Placement', safety
    for all - persons & dogs - and do not reflect the unacceptable conditions
    Trog talks about.

Excessive distance, long 400 yd. tests thru cover & terrain that
    compounds stress on dogs & workers, impairs both and most often
    has the potential to cause havoc when cover is heavy, temp. & hunidity
    high.

Harry asked the right questions ... what he got was the typical "cover up" from AKC.

This rule needs to be re-thought and if the current members of RAC can't
    come up with a reasonable alternative, maybe even conditions that ameliorate "the fear mongering", then we need new RAC members -

Bill Connor
    Last edited by canuckkiller; 07-08-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Look at the bright side. Eliminating lay-outs means clubs won't have to limit master entries to 30 to get a test done in 2 days.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon