The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Water???

Default Big Water???

I’m not familiar with but I have often seen reference to the term “BIG WATER” in the forums and was wondering if anyone can explain what they mean by it and how and for what purpose you use it in training.
    Thanks.

Its water that when you look out, you don't see land very close.... the ultimate would be the ocean, but any big body of water where land appears far away.

Some dogs do not like swimming out into the great unknown when first faced with a retrieve on big water.

Big water can also provide factors like big waves, swells, chop, and other water issues that make retrieving difficult to an inexperienced dog.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

A piece of water where swims of 200 yds or more with factors would be my definition of Big Water. Big swims build courage in a dog and teach them to fight factors.
    Just Win

It's all relative! Here in the desert I have found a great pond that is a little over 200 yards long and 60 wide. This is truly "big water" for here! I think big water is very different in the meanings of tester/trialers and hunters who regularly hunt the oceans and sounds, including the Chesapeake.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Google a map of Michigan and then expand it to include all of the great lakes. That is big FRESH water. Saginaw Bay has a straight line shore of 105 miles or so. That is one of the spots we Michiganders love to hunt and train. I was told once the bottom of Saginaw Bay is lined with remote transmitters....BSEG!
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by terrax View Post
    I’m not familiar with but I have often seen reference to the term “BIG WATER” in the forums and was wondering if anyone can explain what they mean by it and how and for what purpose you use it in training.
    Thanks.
    this -
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Is that a training scenario? It gives me some great ideas. Thanks.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Is that a training scenario? It gives me some great ideas. Thanks.
    a hunt test set up on lake champlain by Lake Champlain Retriever Club in combo with a waterfowl / DU BBQ
    winner of the camo boat compitition was on anchor tossing two marks
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thanks for the replies.
    I often take my pup to the shore of Lake Ontario near home and send her out after a ball that I throw as far as I can with a chuckit and there are often big swells present so I guess she goes out into big water and loves it.
    On the other hand I send her across our small cottage lake 500-600 yds for a retrieve that I have canoed over to throw. Since she is going to the other side with a destination and it is near land, probably 30-40yds off, is this considered big water or just a big swim?

Now for the other part of my original post "how and for what purpose do you use it in training".

Quote Originally Posted by terrax View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I often take my pup to the shore of Lake Ontario near home and send her out after a ball that I throw as far as I can with a chuckit and there are often big swells present so I guess she goes out into big water and loves it.
    On the other hand I send her across our small cottage lake 500-600 yds for a retrieve that I have canoed over to throw. Since she is going to the other side with a destination and it is near land, probably 30-40yds off, is this considered big water or just a big swim?

Now for the other part of my original post "how and for what purpose do you use it in training".
    What is termed an out to sea blind where a dog is faced with an extremely long or to the dog it looks like to the horizon after crossing a small piece of land on a water blind...it is all about courage ....Most rat trap blinds fall into this type of category...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters