The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: What happened to all the old Montana hunt test venues?

Default What happened to all the old Montana hunt test venues?

Back in 1992 thru the late 90s when I was running hunt test I was able to put titles on my dogs without driving too far. I did have to drive down into Idaho a ways, but that's reasonable and there were quite a few right here in Western Montana. Off the top of my head I remember running Ennis, Butte, Missoula and Great Falls all one Spring and Summer.

I just gave a started pup to a friend who has never done this sport and is amazed at what the dog can do. I told him this dog could absolutely pass JH test right now and is only a few months training away from being able to do Senior Hunter test. He is jacked so I went on the HT part of entry express to look up some HT he could enter, wow, basically only one HT in all of Montana, two, Missoula and Helena, were cancelled. What happened? Back when I was running HT it was thriving and fun. Did everybody move into field trials? I never imagined hunt test dying in our area.

John

They all went HRC . Bitteroot (Missoula) had a test last weekend, Butte has two HRC tests last weekend in July, (Missouri Headwater)and first weekend in August (Treasure State). Along with Yellowstone there are now 4 HRC clubs in MT, I was sad Helena canceled there NAHRA, but Better learn how to pump a shot gun HRC they's taking over
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    They all went HRC . Bitteroot (Missoula) had a test last weekend, Butte has two HRC tests last weekend in July, (Missouri Headwater)and first weekend in August (Treasure State). Along with Yellowstone there are now 4 HRC clubs in MT, I was sad Helena canceled there NAHRA, but Better learn how to pump a shot gun HRC they's taking over
    Does he have to shoot a shotgun in the junior stake? He's never hunted before, but now that he has a trained hunting dog he might give it a try. Is the HRC calendar on Entry Express?

It's a choice but most the time someone shoots the shotgun for him, and he'll be a dog holder very akin to Juniors, . HRC entries are huntsecretary.com for Missouri head-water, and Entryexpress for treasure state. There's also the day of sign-up option but don't tell any of the hunt secretaries for either club that I told you that, there's a bit of paper-work on those walk-ups, makes hunt secretaries grumble, but HRC still does them If you down-load and fill out the form before you go and smile real nicely you can get a bit of a reprieve, cookie bribes work as well
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

There is a new club..Northwest Montana Retriever Club that will hold one field trial and one hunt test a year hopefully starting next year. They will have a picnic trial 3 Aug so invite your friend.

BIll
    Sarita McKnight
    MOONSTONE LABRADORS llc
    Bigfork MT 59911
    www.moonstonelabs.com
    AFC BAMS Liberty Belle MH
    FC-AFC-CNAFC-CFC-CAFC MOONSTONES Hug and Moochie
    FC-AFC MOONSTONES Sea Biscuit Run
    AFC MOONSTONES Ham-Maid Marian
    (406) 249-4140 or (406) 257-7311
    Avatar is AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH ~ 31 MAR 1995-7 OCT 2010
    Photo taken on her 15th birthday...