RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What happened to all the old Montana hunt test venues?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  John Robinson 
#1 ·
Back in 1992 thru the late 90s when I was running hunt test I was able to put titles on my dogs without driving too far. I did have to drive down into Idaho a ways, but that's reasonable and there were quite a few right here in Western Montana. Off the top of my head I remember running Ennis, Butte, Missoula and Great Falls all one Spring and Summer.

I just gave a started pup to a friend who has never done this sport and is amazed at what the dog can do. I told him this dog could absolutely pass JH test right now and is only a few months training away from being able to do Senior Hunter test. He is jacked so I went on the HT part of entry express to look up some HT he could enter, wow, basically only one HT in all of Montana, two, Missoula and Helena, were cancelled. What happened? Back when I was running HT it was thriving and fun. Did everybody move into field trials? I never imagined hunt test dying in our area.

John

#2 ·
They all went HRC ;). Bitteroot (Missoula) had a test last weekend, Butte has two HRC tests last weekend in July, (Missouri Headwater)and first weekend in August (Treasure State). Along with Yellowstone there are now 4 HRC clubs in MT, I was sad Helena canceled there NAHRA, but Better learn how to pump a shot gun HRC they's taking over ;)

#4 · (Edited)
It's a choice but most the time someone shoots the shotgun for him, and he'll be a dog holder very akin to Juniors, ;). HRC entries are huntsecretary.com for Missouri head-water, and Entryexpress for treasure state. There's also the day of sign-up option but don't tell any of the hunt secretaries for either club that I told you that, there's a bit of paper-work on those walk-ups, makes hunt secretaries grumble, but HRC still does them ;) If you down-load and fill out the form before you go and smile real nicely you can get a bit of a reprieve, cookie bribes work as well ;)

#5 ·
There is a new club..Northwest Montana Retriever Club that will hold one field trial and one hunt test a year hopefully starting next year. They will have a picnic trial 3 Aug so invite your friend.

BIll

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.