The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dud from good breeding?

Default Dud from good breeding?

Just as the title says. Ever get a pup out of a fantastic litter that just did not have it? Now I am sure there are plenty that do not have what it takes to run trials and such. But how about a pup that just did not have the retrieving desire to even end up in the duck blind? Just was sitting here reading up on the forum and this question popped into my head.

So hard to say, don't you think? It's a game of statistics. The pro I know and have worked with for quite a few years... when she washes a dog out... it's usually one from show lines (no... not trying to start anything. I'm just sayin'...) or from an indifferent (so-called "backyard") breeding. Usually even dogs who've been bred deliberately by hunters (my good hunting dog to your good bitch) she'll usually take through transition and have adequate results (that is to say, the hunters come back with their next dogs and send their friends to her.) I've known her to wash out well bred dogs (i.e., titled sire/dams with FT titled progenitors 2 generations back or so) but almost always it's been because the owners messed them up and then wouldn't participate in the cure.

dud from good breeding?
    ft dud.......yes.
    hunting dud.......nope.(my hunting partners likely feel diffierently)
    john mccallie

3 NC's, 2 FC-AFC in the 1st 6 dogs - it happens in the best of breedings -

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I understand the odds of having a dog not make the grade to make it to that level in FT/HT. Can the average guy pretty much expect a decent hunting dog(with the proper training of course) as long as he is getting a pup with alot of FC in his background. I would suspect the odds are pretty high.

Never expect anything. There are no guarantees. You stack the odds in your favor by getting a well bred dog.........

So yes. It happens.

Had a female from a NAFC-FC x FC-AFC breeding that still couldn't swim competently at 14 months and wasn't really a star in any other way, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    Had a female from a NAFC-FC x FC-AFC breeding that still couldn't swim competently at 14 months and wasn't really a star in any other way, either.
    I believe I had one from that litter too Charles.

I have a really beautiful couch ornament laying right there on the couch. Very well bred though, and is one helluva biscuit fetcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    Ouch!

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).