The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dud from good breeding?

I understand the odds of having a dog not make the grade to make it to that level in FT/HT. Can the average guy pretty much expect a decent hunting dog(with the proper training of course) as long as he is getting a pup with alot of FC in his background. I would suspect the odds are pretty high
    Your odds of getting a nice hunting dog are excellent,,,but sometimes the mix of genes produces a pet or less than pet. I have been privy to a few of these over the years. One was a well known litter with multiple fc's in it. and others were just really nice breedings where one of the pups lacked drive or didn't have a conducive temperament for training

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Not to hijack the thread....
    But how many have gotten dogs out of Great breedings that produced too much dog for you or the sport you are playing.

Too much vocalization to sit in a duck blind?
    Too animated ?
    Dog bred too hot to keep his marbles about them at a trial or test. I have a unbelievable marking dog that can't pick up the go bird in the first series!

This is just as disappointing as a dog with no go!

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    Never expect anything. There are no guarantees. You stack the odds in your favor by getting a well bred dog.........

So yes. It happens.
    Well said....totally agree.
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"

When a well bred dog is not making it as a gundog, the reason is far more likely to lie with the trainer and/or training methods than with the dog. Many trainers and programs are not flexible enough to accommodate the dogs that don't fit the "pattern". I think it is a bit na´ve to always blame the dog for failures. The trainer is in complete control of the dog's total environment. The dog is in control of nothing.
    Robert Milner
    www.DuckhillKennels.com

"When he stood up to speak, battalions of words issued forth from his mouth and scoured the countryside in search of an idea, and when they found one, they swiftly and thoroughly beat it to death." ---- -Anonymous

I don't think it is always the training or methods. We have washed out a couple that multiple trainers have had and the dog just lacked the work ethic to want to play the game. Two of them that come to mind were FC AFC X QAA bred. Some breeding just don't mix as well and/or some breedings produce great of one sex but not so much the other.

I have a well bred black male that washed out for FT but well suited for HT. He went through some tender pad issues from spinning in the kennel but that's been fixed for awhile now. It seams like his balls have dropped all of the sudden because his bark is getting deeper and he's getting more fired up than ever, even in the heat. Kicking up dirt in my face, retrieving with attitude, just a different dog. Maybe a late bloomer, who knows, but it sure is exciting to see!

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonBrou View Post
    I have a well bred black male that washed out for FT but well suited for HT. He went through some tender pad issues from spinning in the kennel but that's been fixed for awhile now. It seams like his balls have dropped all of the sudden because his bark is getting deeper and he's getting more fired up than ever, even in the heat. Kicking up dirt in my face, retrieving with attitude, just a different dog. Maybe a late bloomer, who knows, but it sure is exciting to see!
    I think late bloomer could happen more often than not. I purcahsed a female at two years of age the owner stated she didn't hunt and wasn't much of a gun dog. Two duck seasons later and shes freaking a ball of fire when it comes to field work, duck hunting, and so forth. In the back yard she couldn't care less about a bumper or anything

Had a very nice female that was sent to very good trainer. would fetch bumpers all day long. Would NOT touch a dead bird. Made my daughter a great pet.
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Bertram View Post
    Not to hijack the thread....
    But how many have gotten dogs out of Great breedings that produced too much dog for you or the sport you are playing.

Too much vocalization to sit in a duck blind?
    Too animated ?
    Dog bred too hot to keep his marbles about them at a trial or test. I have a unbelievable marking dog that can't pick up the go bird in the first series!

This is just as disappointing as a dog with no go!
    You and I think very much alike...somewhere in between the two variables lies the perfect animal
    Last edited by jd6400; 07-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Sooo....

Even seen a pair of human parents, both smart, healthy and athletic, with good vision and good hearing, etc., have a kid that was a klutz, or had to wear glasses, or was born deaf, or was mentally disabled? Dogs are no more immune to the random reshuffling of genes or the vagaries of expression of deleterious mutations than are people. A good breeding only increases the odds.

But odds are still odds.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)