The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dud from good breeding?

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    Sooo....

Even seen a pair of human parents, both smart, healthy and athletic, with good vision and good hearing, etc., have a kid that was a klutz, or had to wear glasses, or was born deaf, or was mentally disabled? Dogs are no more immune to the random reshuffling of genes or the vagaries of expression of deleterious mutations than are people. A good breeding only increases the odds.

But odds are still odds.
    Great explanation. Also a dog that a serious field trailer considers a "dud" might be a great dog for a hunt tester or hunter, dud doesn't mean the same thing to everybody, what we might call a FT wash-out can be everything from a QAA dog that doesn't quite have what it takes to be an all age dog, to a dog that totally lacks retrieve desire and everything in between.

John

[QUOTE=PalouseDogs;1124643]Sooo....

Even seen a pair of human parents, both smart, healthy and athletic, with good vision and good hearing, etc., have a kid that was a klutz, or had to wear glasses, or was born deaf, or was mentally disabled? Dogs are no more immune to the random reshuffling of genes or the vagaries of expression of deleterious mutations than are people. A good breeding only increases the odds.
    Very very true....dad had two brothers in school...one ended up a police chief the other is sitting at on death row...guess what,both had the same trainers.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

It is unfair to both dog and owner to ask more of it, than it is capable of. Not every retriever is meant to retrieve.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    Sooo....

Even seen a pair of human parents, both smart, healthy and athletic, with good vision and good hearing, etc., have a kid that was a klutz, or had to wear glasses, or was born deaf, or was mentally disabled? But odds are still odds.
    you sound like my mamma
    john mccallie

When do you think a guy could make the assumption he has gotten nothing more than a pet? As you can maybe tell, I am that guy. Pup is showing little desire and I am worrying. Hopefully needlessly but still..... He is still very young but my last pup had all kinds of go, lived to retrieve. And I think that is what has me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    When do you think a guy could make the assumption he has gotten nothing more than a pet? As you can maybe tell, I am that guy. Pup is showing little desire and I am worrying. Hopefully needlessly but still..... He is still very young but my last pup had all kinds of go, lived to retrieve. And I think that is what has me wondering.
    Probably a 'need' a lot more info type deal to avoid over-speculation IMO.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Wait a minute! Is this the like 9-10 week old from your earlier post?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Wait a minute! Is this the like 9-10 week old from your earlier post?
    Ha Ha Yes it is. Ok, let the bashing begin....

PMC ,read post #10 in this current thread (I'm referring to the last part of the posters sentence).

Dogs Sired By FC AFC Nick Of Time Lone Ranger
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    6 days, 6 weeks, or 6 months but not 6 years