RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How to straighten out older crinkled ribbons?

25K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·

a couple summers ago I put a couple dozen award ribbons in a shoe box. Painted the room they were hung in. I took them out to finally re-hang and many have folds and crinkles in them and do not look good when hung. what is a good way to smooth out an old crinkled ribbon so it may be hung again?

#6 ·
Me too. Steam iron. Iron them on the back so you don't lift the text.

Evan

#4 ·
Oh - perfect.
Just great.
Know I spend a lot of my time trying to train one up, and learning to train one up to get a ribbon, and Mr. Bora looks for info on how the "fix" the crinkled up ones he's got in "storage"...you know,.. the ones' he's "forgotten" about in an old shoe box.

After reading this, the dog put his arm around me and gave some words of encouragement.

#8 ·
I've got boxes of ribbons from upland hunt trials. I use the iron thing to straighten them out. The only ones I have hanging are special meaning ones, like Dog of The day honor.

#9 ·
Rather than trying to restore old ribbons, I try every couple of years to go out and get some new ones. I take any color.

#15 ·
I also recommend going with a lower setting on the iron at first, you can always turn it up, but if you start too high and scorch or melt your ribbon it's too late!

#26 ·
Married 34 years and never had an iron until yesterday. Husband bought one to apply veneer to a speaker cabinet he is making. He tried to get me to do it 10 years or so back, but only his stuff needed ironing. He learned pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.